Thursday, November 26, 2020

What I Always Prayed For

 Last Saturday, I looked around and realized I was shopping in Stuff*mart on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.  The day when they are out of nearly everything and the place is busy with everyone making their Thanksgiving preparations.  Our Thanksgiving travel plans had taken a drastic change that meant we would be home instead of on the road for the holiday, and I wanted to make the best of it by doing some fun things and decorating for Christmas.  And not only was I shopping, I had the whole family in tow.  (a) was excited to pick out a tree for his bedroom, (b) was just excited to see all the Christmas decorations, and (A) was crazy enough to suggest to them that they could choose a new singing/dancing Christmas character to add to our collection of noise under the tree.  After a few minutes we had a tree chosen, it was not pre-lit so he also got to choose some lights to add to it, and I had one VERY excited 4-year-old.  A few more minutes later there was a new (quite noisy) dancing, saxophone playing Rudolph added to the cart- as well as a singing Santa nightlight that they had also managed to talk their Daddy into.  The Christmas end of the store wasn’t terribly busy, but next I needed to head to the grocery side just to grab a few quick things.  It was far more crazy on that side of the store, so (A) and the boys decided to hang out off to the side of a clothing aisle just close enough to see the display of Christmas cooking making supplies while I quickly grabbed the handful of items I needed.  I was looking for a few things we needed to make these fun turkey cookies I remembered my mom helping us with as little girls.  I was also looking for some Christmas sprinkles and such for upcoming projects. 



By the time I returned to the spot where I had left my family, they were gone, and of course (A) had forgotten his phone at home.  I spent nearly 10 minutes wandering the store looking for them when I heard (a) yell “Mama!”  That call was followed by the sound of Rudolph’s saxophone playing and the singing light up Santa.  (A) looked like he was a little worse for wear as the boys beamed with mischief all over their faces.  Apparently (a) had taken the opportunity to add 73 additional things to his Christmas list and (b) was trying to escape the cart to excitedly run through the aisles of the store.  Without even saying anything we were in agreement that we were ready to checkout and get out of there.  But as a looked at those two excited, ornery faces, and a cart full of Christmas and project preparations, I couldn’t help but tear up right there in the Stuff*Mart.  I looked at (A) and over the sound of Rudolph’s saxophone playing, Santa’s singing, and (a) making one more request for a toy he saw, I smiled and said, “You know, this is what we always prayed for!”

 

One night this week (b) was particularly “busy” and crazy, aka INTO EVERYTHING.  I had made a mostly-failed attempt at our Christmas card pictures, until our little loves rebelled and we emerged from my setup at the basement tree with me feeling slightly defeated.   (a) was SO excited about decorating for Christmas that he had us hopping in 4 directions around the house, (A) was trying to get laundry caught up, I was preparing supper and supervising the decorating, and we were both feeling slightly frazzled.   (A) passed through the living room after taking (b)’s favorite plunger from him once again while (b) chased him yelling in toddler gibberish and wielding a nerf sword that is twice as tall as he is.  As he looked at me, I couldn’t help but giggle as he verbally repeated over and over, “This is what we prayed for.  This is what we prayed for.”


 But it is true.  Amid the crazy, the busy, the chaos, the messes, and the noise.  This is what we always prayed for.  A home full of healthy, active children that we could love and lead.  Even as a young girl working in the kitchen with my mom, I dreamed of the days I would make turkey cookies, and Christmas projects with my own kids.  I have LOVED Christmas my whole life and dreamed of the days I would share the joy of decorating with kids who would be as excited about the season as I always am.



 Some days are HARD, some are exhausting, some are so noisy I want to scream, some take every ounce of my patience, but every one of them leaves me feeling completely, overwhelmingly GRATEFUL.  I will give thanks to the Lord in all things- the messy, the noisy, the exhausting, the hard, the giggles, the sticky hugs, the dimple faced grins, the dirty laundry, the spilled water, the holiday projects, the cooking lessons, the pony riding, the muddy footprints…. because in the middle of it all… we are living in the days I always prayed for.

 

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!! Amid a year that has been SO hard… there is MUCH to be thankful for.


"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...