Thursday, November 5, 2020

Growing Up

 For the first time ever, I had the day off for Election Day this week (something new instituted by our governor this past summer).  I took went to the polls early that morning at a few minutes after 7 to vote, and then headed to the dr for a three- hour blood glucose test.  As I sat through the long wait, I had to laugh at myself about how I would have been spending a mid-week day off school 15 or 20 years ago when I would have planned a day trip or some other adventure.  I jokingly sent a picture to a handful of social media friends about how the “adventures” of grown-up life didn’t sound so excitingly adventurous anymore.  The highlight of my day was stopping by a secondhand store that afternoon and finding an AMAZING deal on a jogging stroller in excellent condition.  Yes, being a grown-up is a whole different perspective.

The switch off of Daylight Savings Time this weekend is now bringing the dark much earlier, and some evenings we aren’t home before dark to transition Snoopy from his outside lot to his stall in the barn.  Because of this, I have been concerned that the earlier dark would keep (a) from being very helpful with his pony since he isn’t a big fan of being outside after dark (he is my mini-me after all).  One evening early in the week I got the chance to find out.  We arrived home around 5:15 and it was already quite dark.  I quickly changed out of my school clothes and told him to change to his barn boots.  Surprisingly there was no argument about the dark.  As we headed toward the barn I let him choose if he would like to clean out the stall or mix feed- I would take care of the opposite chore.  He chose stall cleaning.  As I turned on the barn lights I still had my doubts if he would really do it and do a good job once I was in the other part of the barn getting feed and he was by himself with the dark all around him.  But to my amazement, he just counted the piles before starting (it is a very weird habit he has) and got to business.  When I returned with the bucket of mixed grain I was shocked and pleased to find he was still working, and actually doing a very good job.  As we finished up chores and latched the gates for the night, I put my arm around him and asked when he grew-up on me.  He looked up and laughed and announced that he didn’t know.  I don’t either.  But watching him grow up has given me a whole different perspective. 

 As I fed them dinner that night, I was a little shocked that two little boys could put away an entire container of mac n cheese by themselves.  (Don’t judge my heat and serve container- school nights are crazy and I have to avoid carbs, so heat and serve sides are a pretty great gig on nights (A) is in meetings haha!)  While I found myself a little astonished at the amount of food they had just consumed as a side dish, I couldn’t get over how grown up they seemed.  While I still think of (b) as my baby, his bottles and baby food making supplies have long been put away, he feeds himself with a spoon (ok, not very well, but he at least digs around at the food with a spoon and uses it to shove the food up onto his hand), and clearly communicates when he wants a second, third, and fourth helping of mac n cheese.  Whether I want to admit it or not, he is growing up.  And parenting as they grow up is giving me a whole different perspective. 

 Every stage of life is a new perspective- whether finding excitement at voting and second-hand deals, or finding myself baffled at the responsibility level and appetite of my little boys.  Growing up can be bittersweet, but I choose the sweet.  Finding the blessings in what life has brought me with age, and the joy of watching them grow and develop into who God is making them to be- it is all a part of growing up.

 

“When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.  When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.” 1 Corinthians 13:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...