Thursday, October 29, 2020

Someone's Greatest Treasure

 Last night I left school feeling victorious.  I THINK it was the first time in my career where I had 100% attendance from families at their child’s parent teacher conference.  It felt like such a huge win, especially in a year that has been so hard for students, teachers, and families.  We continue to juggle our hybrid schedule, didn’t finish last year in any traditional way, and have popcorned in and out of in-person and remote for quarantines- and yet parents and families still willingly and receptively showed up for conferences.  I was so very thankful.

 

I have not yet sat on the parent side of the table for conferences, but for me as a teacher they are always a little nerve wracking.  They make for long days, so it is sometimes hard to keep the pep and energy that you started the day with.  The schedule is usually pretty tight, so keeping the conference to the given time is important but often hard.  You don’t want to cut off anyone, but you don’t want to keep the next several waiting.  Sometimes, you have nothing but amazing news to share- those are easy.  But for many students there is one area or another where they are in need of improvement.  Sometimes you have to have really hard conversations- ones where you have to unfortunately share that a student is really struggling academically or behaviorally.  Often there aren’t quick easily solutions to those situations, and it can be hard to share that information with their families.

 

Each year, right before conferences I put together a little packet for families.  It includes the student’s self-assessment of how the school year is going, data and charts of student performance, current grades, and other information that could be helpful like state testing dates, student work samples, or practice websites.  On the very top of the pile I have a page with notes for myself.  The two top boxes on the page are labeled “strengths” and “concerns.”  In the days leading up to the conferences I take some significant time to assemble the packets I share, but my main focus is filling out that notes sheet, especially those top two boxes.  Unfortunately, in my human nature it can be easy to list my concerns.  Third and fourth grade students are often irresponsible, lack focus, talk too much, aren’t neat with their work, don’t listen… I could go on and on- and those are just behavioral concerns, that isn’t even scratching the surface of academic struggles.  BUT, that is where I have to stop human negativity and check myself.  I want to also list as many strengths as struggles- so what are my one or two MAIN concerns?  I don’t want to nit-pick every little behavior or normal childhood tendencies to talk too much or not follow directions. 

 

As I write those notes I always have to stop and remind myself- these children are someone’s greatest treasure.  The parents and grandparents who will sit across the table from me, look at these children the way I look at my own- full of love, and hopes, and dreams, and potential.  Willing to give some grace for their faults and wanting them to reach every goal they set for themselves.  And when I think about it that way, it is much easier to prioritize one or two main concerns, and create a glowing list of strengths.  Do I still have to have some hard conversations- yes.  And I would want my children’s teachers to do the same for me if needed!  But even those are easier when I focus on what a treasure that child is and how much I want to hold his or her best interests at heart. 

The Cowboy on his first day of Pre-K

 It is a quick transition from students leaving to parents arriving, but in that time I take a quick minute to hit the restroom, touch up my lipstick (well on every other year when I wasn’t wearing a mask), and pause for a few minutes to pray that above all else, I will remember with each conversation… these children are someone’s greatest treasure.

 

“And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.” Matthew 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...