Thursday, November 19, 2020

In the Middle of the Mess

Our sweet (b) is currently in a stage of professional mess making. It really doesn’t matter what you think you have given him in terms of tidiness or things to keep him occupied- he will find a way to make a huge mess in about 3 seconds flat. Sometimes it happens when we turn our heads, other times he is just so fast it happens right before your eyes. Some of his favorite victims are my cabinets (cause those two boys have already rigged the locks we put on them), drawers full of freshly folded clothes, and many kinds of food. He is also a magnet for mud, pony manure, and crunchy leaves. On Sunday evening, (A) had to go to church to livestream his Bible study lesson and (a) announced he wanted “the boys and Mama” to watch a Christmas movie. He also asked specifically for popcorn during the movie. They both love popcorn, so I didn’t mind at all to fix them each a bowl. What I didn’t plan on though, was how many times I would have the broom out during the course of the movie. I promise Mama’s no dummy, but that kid is FAST!! And if I’m being honest, I think more popcorn was consumed off the floor than from his bowl. Before I started sweeping for the third time, I decided I would snap his picture. In the middle of the mess, he was so very happy and unphased by the disaster he had created. As soon as he realized I had my phone out, he started his ornery grin and announcing “cheese.” There really is good stuff sometimes in the middle of a mess.


 Last weekend, we were supposed to have taken a short trip to visit some family, but some illness cancelled our plans at the very last minute. Friday evening I was so bummed. We rented a movie (side note- we really don’t watch movies every night haha, but a LOT has been cancelled lately, the weather is getting cold, and it gets dark here by 5:00, so our family fun options are becoming limited!) (A) lit a beautiful fire in the basement fireplace to help lift my spirits, and (a) decided he would set up their little chairs in his own movie theater style. As I sat on the couch feeling sorry for myself and the plans I had been looking forward to for weeks, I couldn’t help but notice how cute the boys were in the little set-up they had created themselves. Happy to be having “family night” all together. In the middle of what I just saw as a big mess, there really was some good stuff. 

 God has gently been reminding me, that sometimes there is purpose in mess. Though we may not see it at the time, there is “good stuff” there or He is using it to His glory. Over the past couple months, I have had the opportunity to share, in a few different formats, the story of two of the biggest “messes” our family has walked through. At the time they were so incredibly painful and I couldn’t always see the purpose in them or the reason why they were happening. I just saw a great big, painful mess. Though I wasn’t always sure why, God made it clear to me on the other side that I needed to share those stories with others. In doing that, I have received some very precious notes and a few conversations that have moved me deeply. Some were from people I dearly love, and one was a total stranger who happened to be at my speaking engagement. But they all shared how much they needed to hear that story or how touched they were by it, how much it meant in the middle of a mess they were living through to see that God has a plan to bring you through. In the middle of what I saw as just a painful mess, God was making some good stuff for me to share later. 

 While the next several weeks look uncertain in our area, and probably yours to, I’m sure I am going to look around sometimes and see mess. Christmas is not going to look the same as usual, it’s likely school will soon look even more different than it does now, there may be some hard days ahead of us. I’m pretty sure that to me, some days it will look like a big mess. But I’m going to keep looking harder, because I just know in the middle of that mess, there WILL be some good stuff.

 “and provide for those who grieve in Zion- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...