Thursday, November 12, 2020

Preparing

 Yesterday, (A) and I were fortunate to have a rare day together for just the two of us.  We were both off work for Veteran’s Day (THANK YOU veterans for your service and sacrifice, we are so very thankful for you!) and since it was midweek the boys were still able to go to daycare.  When we discovered a few weeks ago that we were going to get to spend the day together, I was so excited that a million possibilities swirled through my mind of what we might do.  In a way it was tempting to want to catch up on some rest in a quiet house, I thought about fun places we could go for the day, but when it came down to it, we decided what we really needed was a day of preparation for upcoming events in the next few months.

 

It is very rare that we have the chance to do any Christmas shopping together, so though part of me felt like it was early, we went ahead and took care of the boys’ stockings (while my favorite store with a “dollar spot” was still well stocked with Christmas goodies).  Since (a) is at an age where he notices commercials, and consequently asks for EVERYTHING he sees on those commercials, we strolled the toy aisles of a couple stores together looking at the many things on (a)’s list to consider possibilities, compare prices, and rule out several totally impractical requests.  We also tried to prepare our minds and find some options for what on earth to get (b) who is beyond thrilled with an empty box and a full sippy cup.  As we shopped, I just kept commenting that I couldn’t believe that we were already preparing for Christmas.

 

Another important stop for our day was the furniture store.  While we are still months away from the arrival of baby #3, we are trying to prepare for what that means in terms of space.  The boys are going to move into a bedroom together so the baby can move into the nursery.  I had been doing some online shopping and found a loft/trundle bed set that matches the furniture currently in the “cowboy room”, but I wanted to see it in person.  As we considered possibilities and whether or not to order something right now, we discovered the timeline for furniture was running several weeks out, and then add on that we want the boys to have a little time to adjust to their new setup before baby… if we wanted to be prepared it was time to go ahead and order.  As we walked out of the furniture store I again mentioned, that I couldn’t believe we were already preparing for baby, it still seems so far away. 

 

As the evening went on, we got (A) on the road to Louisville in preparation for morning meetings today, the boys and I spent some time at school preparing for the next few days in my classroom and virtual classroom, and (a) and I even had some extra barn help when (b) decided he wanted to help prepare the pony’s feed.  Once the boys were in bed, I found myself sneaking in bags I didn’t want them to see and finding hiding spots I HOPE to are too high up to be found.  I still just kept thinking about how crazy it seemed to already be preparing for events that are weeks and months away, but because we love our little ones, we are preparing now so that when the time comes, everything will be wonderful.

Pretty cute barn help preparing feed

 As I thought about our preparations for Christmas and a baby, it really hit me.  God loved us so much, that he spent thousands of years preparing for that first Christmas, and that perfect baby.  He was preparing for just the right point in time, just the right people to tell, just the right followers to take His message all over the world.  Preparation isn’t just work that has to be done, or a list of tasks to check off, preparation is an act of love.  And I am so thankful He loves me enough that He is still preparing for me.

 

“My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?” John 14:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...