Thursday, December 3, 2020

Seek and Find

 I will admit it, I’m a sucker for Christmas light displays.  As a little girl I loved when we would drive around and see the beautiful light displays at homes and neighborhoods, and I really have never outgrown it.  In many way (a) is my mini-me.  One of those ways is that he also LOVES Christmas and he really enjoys light displays as well.  We are fortunate that there are several homes in our town that do a spectacular job.  There is also a great park display both in our town and in a town 20 minutes away.  A fun element to the park displays and even a couple home displays, is a “seek and find” character.  In our park you are looking for Wanda, an elf who moves each week.  The park at Carlyle has you searching for Pyper the Penguin.  A local home encourages you to find their Orphan (the local high school mascot) of moves each day.  (a) loves to drive by the light displays often, but he is also a huge fan of the seek and find characters.  Sometimes he even asks to go by a second time if he didn’t find the character on his first look.  I also love that all these displays have a nativity with them as well.  In our car it is just as exciting when we spot the baby Jesus as when we find one of the characters.  Someone will announce “There he is!!” and everyone else gets excited to oooo and ahhh over the light-up version of the sweet baby Savior. 

 

In our home this year, we began the adventures of an “Elf on the Shelf.” I realize secular traditions such as Santa and elves can be controversial, but in our home, we choose to do them for fun and work very hard to keep them in proper context compared to the real star of the show- Jesus.  For the last few mornings, it has been fun to watch (a) get up and go looking for his pal, Elfie, to see where he is and what he was supposedly up to while we were sleeping. 

 

I have a confession to make.  If I’m being honest, I feel like this year is bringing in a Christmas season where I am having do so some “seek and find” myself to discover the joy of the season.  So many of our normal traditions have either been cancelled, or have been modified in such a way that they are stressful instead of fun.  Shopping is pretty awkward these days, and I have a hard time falling in love with the hassle of the online shopping experience.  I have no idea how to plan visits to grandparents and such as we never know when someone might end up in quarantine and change all the plans.  I am trying so hard to find ways to still make Christmas fun for my students, but restrictions have made it impossible to do many of my usual activities, and our school Christmas program is completely out this year.  Even my usual festive Christmas dresses aren’t fitting very well over my growing baby bump haha!

 

I keep reminding myself, that the true reason for the season- the true joy- is still there, it will never change.  I just have to look for it, go searching after it, and try again if I miss it the first time.  The joy isn’t found in the programs, activities, traditions, or even family visits.  Those are so much FUN, but they aren’t the real JOY.  The true joy is in the gift of a Savior, the love God showed us by such a humble beginning, the faithfulness of a God who was willing to become human and walk among us.  When I seek those things, they really aren’t so hard to find.  Even in a year where Christmas feels so different, I pray that I am able to keep seeking the most important things, because I KNOW they are there for me to find.

 

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...