Thursday, January 14, 2021

Moving Forward

 I’m going to admit something for all the world to read… my husband is a wise man.  Wise in his study and wise in his counsel (and he is tired of listening to his wife worry and cry).  You see for the last several months, actually since about March, I have spent a lot of energy worrying over and fearing for our children’s future.  I follow current events and I understand history.  I have watching the venomous political climate from both sides of the aisle, the social unrest throughout the country, the way politics can sway economics so drastically, everyone has a firm belief on their science, their opinion, their truth,  and how all of this has pit friends and family hatefully against each other from behind the safety of a keyboard and social media platform. 

 

For months this has sent me reeling and feeling desperate about the world in which we are raising our children and fearful for their futures.  Last week on a particularly difficult day, my husband, in his wisdom, suggested I go back to the book of Nehemiah (he knows I’m an Old Testament junkie) and just re-read the account of what was happening.  He also reminded me that despite how I was feeling by watching current events, God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him.  If you are unfamiliar with the story of Nehemiah, here is the “Kristi’s notes version”- the walls of Jerusalem were in ruins and what had been God’s city was decimated.  His people were scattered in every direction as they had been conquered and it really looked like most hope was lost.  But Nehemiah (who was a layman and somewhat of a political figure- NOT the priest or prophet of the time) had on his heart to rebuild the city walls and bring glory to God.  And with some help from a faithful few, that is exactly what he did.  It came with a lot of opposition, some threats, and some people who thought he was crazy.  When the walls were finished the people gathered for a celebration, and Ezra, the spiritual leader, got out the book of God’s law and began reading it to the people.  When he did this they realized just how terribly far they had come from what God called them to be, and they were heartbroken and crying, and tearing their clothes.  But then “The Levites calmed all the people , saying, “Be STILL, for this is a holy day.  Do not grieve.” Nehemiah 8:11  And there it was… my breath caught in my throat as I read… BE STILL… my word for the year.  For this is a holy day, do not grieve.

 

Here I have been grieving for my children the simpler days of what the world was like when I was their age, and stressing about their futures, but that is not what I’m called to do.  Ezra went on to tell the people that it was true, they had messed up, but that wasn’t what mattered going forward.  They were working NOW to do the right thing, to restore God’s city and to reunite God’s people, they were working to NOW follow what God was calling them to do, and they should rejoice in that and in his word. 

 

And so, moving forward, I am determined to readjust my heart.  While I still may shake my head at the world around me or try to make wise decisions in regards to it- I am done grieving for my children, because honestly, there is more important work to be done.  The work of teaching them and raising them to love the Lord, to stand for His truth, and to be who He called them to be.  That instead of just worrying about the world around them, to be like Nehemiah and do something about it.  Reminding them it may not always be popular or easy, but God did not ever promise us popular or easy in life.  When I look into their sweet, ornery faces I will look with hope for the future instead of fear, and with the peace of knowing that God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him.  And in that peace… I am moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...