Thursday, February 20, 2020

I Want to be a Mary Mom in my Martha Life


Last week was one of those particularly crazy weeks.  There were Valentine treats to get ready for the kids and teachers at daycare, there was a birthday party to attend, different situations at school were making it hard to leave and head home before 5:00, my students were begging me to come watch one of their basketball games, my hubby was sweet enough to get us dinner reservations for a date night, and then there was all the “usual” pile of papers to be graded, meals to be made, and household tasks to attend to.  One evening in particular I was exhausted but working my tail off to get dinner made while simultaneously making and packaging baby food, checking (a)’s backpack, repacking (b)’s diaper bag, and washing bottles for daycare and my “pumping station”… when I looked across from the kitchen into the living room.  There sat (A) in the recliner with both boys in his lap and there was a LOT of giggling going on.  And it in that moment it hit me like a ton of bricks… we were Mary and Martha.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I was not at all upset with him.  I’m so thrilled my boys have an awesome dad who is extremely “hands on” when it comes to parenting and he is a huge help around the house as well, but I can’t lie… I was so jealous.  There he sat playing and having fun with the boys while I was working to have everything ready for them. 

I really have no answers for how to be “Mary” mom in a “Martha” life, because the reality is my family still has to be fed, bags still have to be packed and prepared for the next day, we want them to be social, friendly kids who attend functions and interact with their peers, but there are so many days I wish there was “more of me” to be able to sit and snuggle. 

On Monday, both (A) and I were off work in observance of Presidents’ Day and I had quite a lot on my “to do” list.  I was really hoping to make the most of the day.  But after breakfast, (a) asked if we could go downstairs and play.  I didn’t even think twice to say “sure!”  And before I knew it… it was 6:00 pm, I had not accomplished a single thing on my “to do” list, but we had spent the entire day playing, snuggling, and napping together.  And I really felt like I HAD made the most of the day.  (A) had to go to church for a meeting that evening after dinner, and when he returned I was in the chair rocking the baby.  The supper dishes were still on the table and no one was packed for the start of the daycare week.  I laughed as I commented that the basement Christmas tree would just wait for another day (YES, my basement family room tree is still up… getting it down had been the highest item on the Monday “to do” list), but I truthfully didn’t mind, the snuggles were better.  
My Monday nap time lap full of cuddles

I still have no answers, and I’m still exhausted from trying to get it all done.  I have no tips, or tricks, or wisdom to share, but it is my fervent prayer that I will have more opportunities to be a “Mary” mama in my “Martha” life.

“Martha, Martha” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed- or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...