Thursday, January 16, 2020

I Wanna Live Like That


For a girl who only has 4 total first cousins (both sides combined), it was a bit of an adjustment to marry into a family where there are four times that many grandkids… on one side alone.  While my family fits around one table, his uses a church fellowship hall for get-togethers and Thanksgiving lunch is an annual family reunion where we even wear name tags (literally).  And though I had a lot of names and connections to learn, joining a big family has come with so many big blessings.  One of my favorite of those blessings is how quickly they made me feel loved like one of their own. 

Within (A)’s family is his precious Great-Aunt Betty.  Growing up in Southern Indiana, I had heard her name long before I met her.  She has been in women’s ministry for 70 years and is well known for her drama performances, speaking engagements, and musical cowbells.  However, after (A) and I had been married for a couple of years I began to get to know her and I very quickly learned why people love her.  Over the years she has become as dear to me as if she were my own aunt.  In my life she has been a huge encourager and cheerleader.  She is wonderful at making you feel loved and special, and she is a prayer warrior.  When we came through a hard ministry transition, Aunt Betty was one of the first phone calls I received.  She saw our announcement and easily “read between the lines” that our hearts were broken.  She called and asked us to come over because she wanted to love on us and pray over us in person.  I have been blessed to learn from her as she taught several speaking engagements and been humbled that she has both introduced me and come to some of mine.  She follows my blog and continues to encourage my dream to someday publish a book.  She always reminds us that she loves us and is proud of us, and above all, she is praying for us.


This past weekend we were fortunate to make a quick Indiana run to attend her 90th birthday celebration.  It was a party that did not disappoint- complete with a “roast” by several friends and family members and she performed some songs on her cowbells with a talent that few could possess, especially at 90.  As I sat listening to the stories and looked around the church at the HUGE crowd who had come to celebrate, I could not stop thinking of the words to a song by Sidewalk Prophets.
I want to live like that,
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You
Aunt Betty lives a life that is on purpose for the Glory of God.  And in doing so, she has impacted SO very many lives for The Kingdom, mine is just one of them.  As I listened to people speak of how she had loved them, counseled them, and prayed for them, all I could that was “I wanna live like that.”  I want to live in a way points people straight to Jesus and makes them feel so very loved in the process.  I want to live a life that is so on purpose for His glory, that at 90 I am also still booking speaking engagements and planning women’s retreats like Aunt Betty is because she knows that God is not done using her until He says He is done. 

While it was such a blessing to celebrate with her, it also gave me a challenge.  It challenged me take a look at my life and question if I am truly living full out for the glory of God.  It challenged me to think about the way I interact with people, the mindset I have, and the way I spend my time.  It challenged me to think, “I wanna live like THAT.” 

I know you are reading, Aunt Betty, so THANK YOU for being such an example in my life.  I love and appreciate you!

“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven.” Matthew 5:16


1 comment:

  1. Loved it! You are so right on! I feel the same way about this wonderful family. We are so blessed that God led us to be a part of it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...