Thursday, January 9, 2020

Nothin' But the Good Stuff


Oh the week we go back to routine… it is always rough after that beloved Christmas break is over.  Though the kiddos didn’t let us sleep in any over break, we were still able to start mornings slowly over a nice big breakfast and PJs until 9 a.m.  There were days full of snuggles and movies, evenings filled with playtime, and a general sense of relaxation.  This week we were back to reality where mornings were rushed and a little crazy, evenings required preparations for the next day, (A) was back to attending evening meetings, and my heart felt a twinge of hurt that the “schedule” seems to kill relaxation.  Work came with a new set of stresses this week as we took a closer look at state testing data and a dr appointment/pharmacy visit left me with some very grumpy frustrations.  Welcome back to reality!!  But thankfully God kept giving me reminders of why He gave me the word PURPOSE for the year… as the chaos of real life came clouding my vision that word was like a homing beacon back to the good stuff. 

Our (a) loves flavored sparkling water, he calls it “good stuff.”  We don’t let it him have it all the time, but it is a frequent treat for him as it is much healthier than most things he could be drinking.  Even though we don’t let him have it all the time, he asks for it all the time.  Every meal, every snack, and anytime he is thirsty his request is for “good stuff.”  He also knows that if he is at his Mama K’s house (my mom) there will be “good stuff” because she is the one who introduced him to it a couple years ago.  People often giggle when they hear him request it and ask us what he is talking about.  In our house it is such a common request that I often take for granted how funny it usually does sound when he simply asks “I want good stuff, please!”

As we have transitioned “back to reality” this week, I have purposely been watching for the “good stuff” in our day to day and using it as an anchor for my heart.  At school I have taken on a new practice of ending each day by writing down an “awesome of the day” from my classroom- finding SOMETHING positive that happened with my students so that I can shift my focus from frustration to celebration. (I can’t take credit for this idea, I got it from a conference I recently attended- but it has been a very valuable practice so far!)  While evenings are no longer completely full of playtime, I have been intentionally making sure I still took time to sit down for some playtime together, a book or two, or to simply sit and listen as the boys make each other laugh out loud.  We were on purpose in how we framed certain situations- for instance both boys received a flu shot this week and we managed to get (a) so excited about what a “cool” thing this shot was that he didn’t even flinch and actually thanked the nurse for giving it to him.  While the week has been just as crazy, chaotic, and hard as normal… I have purposely looked for the good stuff.  And when I focus on the good stuff, the rest of it doesn’t seem so overwhelming. 


Do I have a ways to go?  Oh yes!! My frustrations made me snippy a few time, the stress did keep me from being on purpose with me eating (that has GOT to change), and we still have to work with purpose to find some solutions to our children’s sleep patterns… but purposefully looking for the good stuff made for a better outlook on the first week of our new year. 

Thank you Lord, that when we live on purpose we get to experience the good stuff!

“for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose.” Philippians 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...