Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Ordinary Moments, Extraordinary Love


My great aunt and uncle were quite a special pair to us growing up.  They lived in the next town east and we frequently spent time with them on the weekends and in the summers.  I don’t remember doing any particularly extraordinary things with them, because they loved us right into their regular ordinary life.  I think that is what I loved most about being with them.  If it was their week to take care of watering the golf course, we went along in the cart to tend to what needed to be done.  If she needed to restock new items she ordered for the hospital gift shop, we went along to help with the process.  We often ate with their regular group of friends at the bowling alley or a little restaurant on the square.  My uncle loved to go for drives in the country and he would frequently stop by our house just for a short chat, some hugs, and a glass of lemonade. 

After more than 60 years of marriage, my uncle passed away less than one year before my own wedding- and I remember my aunt coming to my bridal shower and sharing that she hoped we would be as happy for as many wonderful years as they were.  It was an ordinary gesture that meant an extraordinary amount to me.  She now lives in a nursing home where, at 96, she still gets her hair done every week, puts on her makeup each morning, and is always dressed fashionably.  I try to visit as often as I can, because she adores my boys, and I adore her.  Our visits are pretty ordinary- (a) likes to push her around in her wheelchair, she always knocks on the door of the kitchen to make sure he is given a cookie, and they play ball together with a large therapy beach ball.  She and I visit about school and how quickly the kids are growing, and I spend most of the visit repeating myself, not because of her memory, but because of her poor hearing. 

Even "little" (a) loved to play ball with her, now that he's big enough to see over the chair, he loves to push her around 



We made the trip to Indiana this weekend especially for her birthday, and as I was sharing with my in-laws why she is so dear to me- I was reminded again, that the extraordinary love I have for her, was built on a thousand little ordinary memories. 

Tonight, was a gorgeous evening and so the boys and I played baseball outside in the yard while (A) attended a meeting.  Actually, (a) and I made an attempt at baseball (I am a terrible pitcher) while (b) laid on a blanket in the grass and laughed at us.  We giggled and hugged and shooed away mosquitoes.  Later I made a pretty basic dinner of grilled chicken that we ate together at the table, then (a), (b), and I snuggled with the TV on until (A) arrived home.  It was a very ordinary evening, but I snapped some pictures out in the yard because those are the kind of memories I love to hold on to… they are the kind of memories I hope my boys will look back on and cherish.  I hope they will look at us and see that an extraordinary love, an extraordinary life, can be built on a million little ordinary moments.  I pray that they will see God’s extraordinary love for them in a million little ordinary ways He takes care of them.

“From everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children.” Psalm 103:17



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...