Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Simple Gifts


Last week I had a MONDAY kind of Monday… more things to accomplish than time, we were kicking off a week of Book Fair at school (which I was in charge of), I was working hard to get my students through one last week of material and review before state testing begins, there were emails to respond to, meetings to prepare for, and I had a dr’s appointment for a baby check-up at the end of the day.  By the time we left the dr’s office headed home, I was EXHAUSTED and STARVING.  I started telling (A) how hungry I was, but I had no idea what our dinner plan was going to be.  You can image my relief when he told me that was one thing I didn’t need to worry about that evening.  A friend had stopped by his office that day and shared that he had thrown some meat on his smoker that afternoon.  If we would come by the house before heading home, he had a rack of smoked ribs to share with us.  I nearly cried I was so grateful and relieved.  I love to cook, but to an exhausted, pregnant, working mama the simple gift of dinner on a school night was huge.  We thanked them several times, swung by the grocery for some pre-made slaw, I pulled some leftover cooked veggies from the fridge, and we ate like kings without any real effort on my part.  That simple gift made my day. 

Yesterday was Monday again… 14,722 more things on my “to do” list than time in the day.  Wrapping up and packing up last week’s book fair, one last meeting to be ready for state testing to begin today, last minute technology tweaks in my classroom, making sure my room was appropriately up to testing code (visual aids covered), quiet activities created for students who were not in testing sessions, info messaged out to parents… the list felt unending.  Nearly two hours after students had left, I was still in my classroom putting the finishing touches on that “to do” list.  One of the last things I had on the list was to sharpen about 40 high quality pencils (you know, those fancy name brand ones, because I am “that teacher”) so students would have them to do work on scratch paper during their math tests today.  Several months ago a dear friend donated a box of those perfect pencils to my classroom, and I had been holding on to them specifically for “testing weeks.”  I was completely exhausted and just wanting to leave as I pulled that box out of my supply closet thinking “as soon as these are sharpened, I’ll get out of here.”  You can’t imagine my relief when I opened the box to discover these wonderful pencils were pre-sharpened!!! Like last week, I nearly cried (you think the hormones are getting the best of me?)  A box of pre-sharpened pencils was such a simple gift, but the time and energy it saved me meant the world. 


And in turn, because that simple gift had brightened my day and provided such a pick-me-up, I decided to pass it on.  When I picked up (a) from daycare, I told him we needed to make a quick stop at Stuff*Mart for a couple things, and while we were there he could pick out “a drink and a snack” (his favorite simple gift to give or receive) for (A) who was going to be in a meeting all evening.  He thoughtfully and lovingly picked out 2 things he thought his daddy would like and proudly carried them to the car.  He was SO excited to present that gift (along with 3 big hugs) to his daddy as we made a simple five minute stop to see him before his meeting. 

SIMPLE GIFTS, not elaborate, not expensive, not extraordinary, SIMPLE GIFTS- the ones that relieve stress, save time, or simplify a situation… those gifts are powerful.  Those gifts make for meaningful relationships, lift burdens, and make memories.  Simple gifts say “I care enough to notice the little things.”  In a world where we are constantly bombarded by the big, the bold, the loud, the busy, the complicated… caring enough to notice the little things is a precious gift.  Isn’t it amazing how the little things can change our entire outlook on the day, or even the week- how it can alter our mood and our attitude, how it can bless and enrich our lives and the lives of others? 

I pray that in the hustle and hurry of everyday life, that amid my own “to do” list of 14,722 things, I am never to busy to notice or to give SIMPLE GIFTS.

“If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...