Tuesday, April 30, 2019

I Won't Get These Moments Back


One evening last week I was trying to get everyone fed, clothes and “stuff” ready for the next day, and a little tidying up around the house when a little boy asked me, “Momma, can we go outside dance in the dark!?”  I looked up at (A) and giggled a little, then turned back to (a) to clarify, “You want to go outside and dance in the dark?” From his excitement, it was very clear that I had understood him correctly.  I thought for just a minute.  There were so many things I needed to do, and it really was getting close to his bedtime, but I couldn’t help myself.  It was a clear and fairly warm night, so I looked down and said “Sure, let’s go out and dance in the dark!”  After all, I won’t get these moments back.

He has three favorite Children’s Church songs that are basically on repeat in our house all the time.  He sang, and giggled, played guitar with a blue plastic bat, danced, and gave me instruction when I wasn’t doing the motions the way he wanted me too.  He chased the dog a little when she didn’t appear as interested as he wanted her to be, and I couldn’t help but laugh the whole time.  I know there will be a day he will be way too cool to ask his Momma to go out and dance in the dark.  I won’t get these moments back.
 
I couldn't get a picture of him dancing without turning off his music, and I knew better than to do that!! But I did snap this one just so we could remember.
Another evening I lay on the couch recovering from the exhaustion that seems to come with teaching in the last few weeks of school coupled with pregnancy and toddler mom life… and the baby started wildly kicking and moving.  He always seems to do that just as soon as I get a chance to relax- and I love that feeling, the chance to feel that sweet little life before we even meet him.  I needed to get up and fix dinner, I needed to throw some clothes in the laundry, but instead I stayed on the couch a little longer so I could feel him kick (he always seems to calm down and go back to sleep when I am up moving).  I looked over to (A)- who could tell from the hands on my belly why I was still on the couch, and he just smiled at me as I told him I was going to lay there a few minutes longer.  He knows I won’t get these moments back. 

I think of so many things I should do more often- more calls to my grandparents, more visits with old friends, more living room “date nights” with my hubby… I won’t get these moments back.

Time flies, seasons change, little ones grow, opportunities pass… I won’t get these moments back. 

May I learn to never take for granted the time that God has given me to touch the lives of others for His glory.  May my head slow down, so my heart can take in His precious gifts.  May I stop and take notice of His faithfulness in my life… I won’t get these moments back.

“Teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts.” Psalms 90:12



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...