Tuesday, August 7, 2018

"THAT" Teacher


Late last week, I overheard a conversation that really stuck with me.  I had taken (a) in to a local franchised walk-in haircut salon for a long overdue haircut.  He is NOT a fan of having his hair cut, so I was pretty focused on bribery and sweet talking him to take off his beloved cowboy hat as we waited his turn, when I couldn’t help but be distracted by the rather loud conversation between one of the stylists and the client in her chair.  They were very vocal in complaining about the school supply list they had picked up for their students for the upcoming school year.  They were super grouchy about the list asking for supplies by specific brand and what was wrong with that teacher, didn’t she know she was asking for the name brand supplies, and those were the expensive ones.  And how ridiculous that the teacher would request pencils that were just yellow and not allow character pencils.  They went on to determine that by asking for these specific supplies the teacher had taken all the fun out of school.  They were very negative and hostile about the whole thing.  And I just sat there, not saying a word, but my heart pounding and my face feeling warmer and warmer.  I big part of me was tempted to get up and walk out (knowing that very vocal stylist was going to be the same one to cut my grumpy little cowboy’s hair), but I didn’t, I just kept my mouth shut. 

What bothered me was… I am “THAT” teacher.  The teacher who asks for some of the student supplies by brand name.  Because what the vocal complaints don’t know is that I also am “THAT” teacher who spent $40 of my family’s own grocery money to buy a nice electric pencil sharpener for my classroom because we had no other sharpener in our room, and those fancy character pencils are wrapped in plastic coating that will ruin the new sharpener in 2 weeks. 

I am “THAT” teacher who requested a specific brand of dry erase markers because I know what I spent on whiteboards that I want to last years and years, and I know the generic brand of dry erase markers will stain and ruin those boards the 2nd time they are used.

What those ladies don’t know is that I am “THAT” teacher who also thought and thought about what supplies to put on the list to make sure I wasn’t listing anything extra or unnecessary.  I am “THAT” teacher who went through the supplies I have bought previously to see if there is anything I can pass out to the class from my “stash” and not have to ask the parents to buy.

I am “THAT” teacher who has already quit adding up the receipts on what I have spent of my family’s personal money to buy things for my classroom and curriculum supplements that I will use this year.  I even spent personal money and time and energy to paint my new classroom this summer because it was super dingy but we didn’t have a janitorial staff in my district over the summer, so if it was going to get done I had to do it myself.

I am “THAT” teacher who will give up a lot of time with my family this year to stay at school late getting plans ready and running papers.  And many evenings when I am home I will still be grading papers or corresponding with parents through my classroom app.

I am “THAT” teacher who will lay in bed worrying about how to help you student with a concept they are struggling with or I will stay up late making sure everything is in place for special event day I have planned the next morning.

I am “THAT” teacher who will be brokenhearted over a tough home situation that I can’t change, and will come out to the ball park in the evening with my own kid in tow to see my “big kids” shine.

I want to be “THAT” teacher who empowers my students to set goals they have never set before, and then helps them work to achieve those goals.


I want to be “THAT” teacher who helps my students fall in love with reading, encourages creative writing, and says “I believe you can do it” when they try something new.

I am “THAT” teacher who realizes that parents entrust me daily with their most prized treasurers, and I do not take the responsibility lightly.

I am “THAT” teacher who will pray over every desk individually in the quiet empty room before the first day of school, and again the evening before state testing time when I know they are worried, and any time I know there is a struggle in their lives.  And no, my students will probably never know that happened. 

I want to be “THAT” teacher who someday former students will look back and say “She cared about me.”  “She helped me love learning.”  “She was there for me when I needed someone.”

And I tell you these things NOT because I want any praise of any kind, but because I know as much as I am “THAT” teacher, so are DOZENS and DOZENS of other teachers in schools all over this country.  I grew up with a mom who I watched be “THAT” teacher.  I student taught with a wonderful lady who was “THAT” teacher.  I went to Purdue and graduated with peers who are now “THAT” teacher in schools all over Indiana and beyond.  I have taught next door and down the hall from “THAT” teacher.  I have been mentored by “THAT” teacher within my school district.  And I have cheered when “THAT” teacher retired and finally got a much-deserved break from the stress of the job but watched her still cry for all she was giving up.  Are there bad teachers out there? Yep! Just like there are bad doctors and lawyers, and secretaries and factory workers, and CEOs and congressmen, and chefs and nurses.  But I don’t judge all of those groups by the few bad apples (ok… maybe the congressmen 😉).

So yes, I am “THAT” teacher who they were complaining about in the salon in front of his or her students because I asked for supplies by name.  And I am “THAT” teacher who kept my mouth shut because I know their complaints won’t change the kind of teacher I am. 


And I am “THAT” teacher who is asking for your prayers as we get ready to embark on a new school year.  Prayers not only for me, but for all the teachers out there pouring their life into being “THAT” teacher.  And for all the precious lives sitting in our classrooms who are being influenced by “THAT” teacher.

“In everything set them an example by doing what is good.  In your teaching show integrity and seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.” Titus 2:7-8

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!!! Thank you for being “THAT” teacher. May Christ be glorified in you to all of your students.

    ReplyDelete

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...