Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Matter of Perspective


This weekend our family attended our first “Balloonfest” in our new town.  It is a big event where hot air balloons from all over come to compete in races throughout the weekend and “Glow” in the park in the evenings.  It has a huge festival atmosphere, and we were told from the first weekend (A) was hired back in the spring, that we could NOT miss Balloonfest.  On Saturday morning as we ran errands in the car we were able to see several of the balloons flying overhead and in the direction of our house.  It was beautiful and fun to hear (a) jabber about them.  But I really couldn’t completely appreciate the size or the balloon, the job of the crew, or the reality of just a “basket” until we were up close and personal with them at the glow that evening.

As (a) and I walked through the balloons set up in the park “glowing” Saturday evening, his comments changed from simple observations like counting them, to pure awe.  He kept telling me how “BIIIGG” they were and that when they lit up with fire it was “awesome!”  It was such a matter of perspective.  When the balloons were flying it was a beautiful sight, but when you really see the effort that goes into making that happen, and the physical size of the operation, (and consider the cost that must be involved!) you gain a whole new respect for the beauty of the flight.
He was totally in awe of their size!


I can’t lie, parenting has been hard lately.  We have been dealing with a difficult amount of separation anxiety as so many aspects of our life have changed.  Pair that with potty training, and a little boy who is as stubborn as his parents, has made for some interesting challenges that are often frustrating and embarrassing.  But I have also watched two families recently say unexpected “goodbyes” to their precious little ones, and it has changed my perspective so much.  While I still won’t give him a pass on bad behavior, I am so grateful for every moment with him, even the really hard ones.  I find myself thanking God for the chance to make bribes to survive the grocery, because I realize I’m blessed to be taking a child to the grocery. 

Last week was extremely challenging.  The first week of school always is for a teacher’s family (or at least this teacher’s family).  There are many long hours at school getting things adjusted and situated leaving my family hungry with only frozen pizza, my house in total disarray, and a serious need for a laundry fairy.  The struggles of a new school to me, and it being a tiny school corporation where everyone wears 32 different hats combined with major health insurance frustrations lead me to cry myself to sleep several nights, and to top off the “first week of school exhaustion” (a) has not been sleeping well, so of course, his parents haven’t been either.  Thankfully, Friday night he SLEPT, and so did we.  Saturday morning I received a wonderfully encouraging note from a parent in my class, and our family made a splurge from our usual eating habits for a big breakfast out of delicious, unhealthy, specialty pancakes.  It is amazing what sleep, encouragement, and cheesecake pancakes can do for your perspective. 
(a) is also a fan of pancake perspective

A change in perspective can create a change of heart, a change of attitude, and can put priorities in a different place.  Things that once seemed small can become so big, or things that once seemed hugely important can become so small when you step back and change the perspective.    I pray that I am always willing to take a look at my life from a different perspective, so I am able to empathize with others or truly appreciate just where I am.

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:18.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...