Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Community


I was raised in a small town.  It’s the kind of town where everyone within a three mile radius considers themselves your neighbor.  The kind of town where people look out for each other, care about each other, go to church together, celebrate together, mourn together, and help each other.  It really was a COMMUNITY. 

As I prepared to head back to that small town last weekend for my grandma’s funeral services, I will admit, I was REALLY looking forward to being back there and having a chance to see so many of those friends and neighbors.  I knew that people would have lovingly brought food to the house so mom wouldn’t have to cook for all of us, that people would stand and wait in line to hug us at visitation, that there would be flowers and cards from those friends and neighbors, and that we would feel very loved and supported.  And you know what… that community did not let us down!!  There was more than enough food to feed all the mouths, there were SOOO many wonderful hugs, and we felt incredibly loved and supported as we said our good-byes to Grandma. 

Not only was a raised in a small town community, but I was raised in a “circle” that is a community.  Many of our family’s dearest friends are farm families and cattle friends who don’t live geographically close- but that doesn’t stop the sense of community when there is a need.  Some of them drove multiple hours to stand in that line and show their support, others who couldn’t make it sent texts or called, sent flowers or cards, and that sense of community means the world.

As I think about that community, and those people, I realize they are so special to me because they helped make me who I am.  They were my Sunday school teachers, and volunteer youth group leaders, they sang beside me on the praise team in my home church, their kids tied cattle beside mine at show after show, they were nearby farmers we knew we could call if dad was gone and we had farm problem.  They taught me what it means to be a mentor, an encourager, a “cheerleader,” and a friend.  So much of who I am today, I owe to that community, that “circle” of people who came alongside my parents to help raise three strong, independent, faith-filled girls. 

And as I think about that, it makes me think a LOT about who will influence my boys.  As it looks right now, it doesn’t appear that it is God’s will that we get to raise them in a small town like I was, but I hope we are building community, and a “circle” that will help encourage them like mine did.  A community where they see adults lead by example, where they know they will be loved and supported, taught values and work ethic, where love for God and others comes before anything else.  That there is someone they can call if needed, or a spare set of parents or two to help “keep them in line” when they aren’t in our line of sight. 

I’ve always heard “it takes a village to raise a child,” and this weekend I was reminded of how INCREDIBLY thankful I am for the village who raised me.  And it makes me pray all the more for God to help us seek out and choose wisely who will be a part of that village, that “circle,” that community for our family.

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25
We know for sure Aunt Kayda is in his "circle" 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...