Monday, March 19, 2018

Taking Root


The reminder came in our school mailboxes last week… It’s time for 3rd grade teachers to order trees to be given out for Earth Day.  As my grade level partner (I LOVE her to pieces and appreciate her more than she will ever know) and I were counting up how many saplings we needed to order I made the comment, “You know, I think Mom and Dad still have some of our 3rd grade trees growing in the yard!”  I made a mental note to take a picture of one next time I was at the farm to help give my students some perspective.  When they first get that little 10-inch tall sapling it sure doesn’t look like much.  It’s honestly pretty scrawny and would be easy to disregard as something that would never turn into much of anything.  I remember feeling that way about my little tree when I brought it home from school in 3rd grade.  Fortunately, my parents saw the potential in it and we made a family affair of planting that little evergreen out between the garden and cattle lot.  We gave it some TLC and it took root. 


When I was at the farm on Sunday, I pulled out my phone to snap a quick picture of that tree and couldn’t help but get some perspective of my own.  I remembered that the tree was still standing in the yard, but I had lost track of what can happen when a tree takes root for 26 years.  What was once just a scraggly little stick, is now a towering tree.  I didn’t even realize how tall it actually was until (a) and my mom walked beside it leading a horse and I saw how the large tree dwarfed them.  It really is amazing what can happen when something takes root. 


We were at the farm because all I had heard from (a) the entire week was “I go feed cows!”  He tends to have cows on the brain a lot (which melts this Momma’s heart), and when that idea of feeding cows takes root, there is no getting it off his mind until he gets a chance to go to the barn. 
"I feed cows, Momma!"

I realize that I find myself in the same place sometimes (and I’m not JUST talking about the need to go feed cows)- when something takes root it is impossible to get it off my mind.  When something takes root, I lose track of just how big it can grow and how it can dwarf other things in our lives.  I have recently been taking a careful inventory of what has taken root in my heart. 

It’s a little overwhelming when grief and hurt and sadness and anger take root.  While it is perfectly normal to have those emotions, it is a different thing when they take root and are allowed to grow.  Without realizing it, they can quickly grow into bitterness, and unforgiveness, and despair.  Just like a tree, I lose track of time and don’t see how big those problems are becoming until something passes by to put them in perspective.  While it is fine for the tree to continue growing, I have been intentionally working to uproot these feelings from my life- those feelings can NOT continue growing.  Their size can be a dangerous problem if not kept in check. 

Hope, however,… now there is something worth taking root.  Even on the hardest days, a glimmer of hope can change everything and give new perspective.  When hope takes root, we see that struggles may come, but we also see the light on the other side.  Hope reminds that God is faithful and He is carrying us every step of the way.  I love what Paul says in his letter to the church at Rome “…we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope.  And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Romans 5:3-5)

I love two particular things about this- the fact that hope can come out of suffering and the promise that hope will not disappoint us.  Letting hope take root in my heart will choke out the hurt that comes with suffering.  Hope brings with it the possibility of new beginnings, and more importantly shines perspective on God’s great love for me.  I want hope to take root.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...