Monday, March 12, 2018

We Pray

On Sunday morning we were out of town for Anthony to preach and the church had graciously allowed us to spend the night in a (fabulous!) local hotel.  They had an awesome complimentary hot breakfast buffet, but it was no surprise that (A) and (a) were several minutes ahead of me in getting ready for church, so they headed on down to enjoy the breakfast before me.  When I was ready I went down to join them.  They were almost finished and (A) had started cleaning up.  We were not in a rush, but I knew I was running behind them and I didn’t have time to piddle, so when (a) took my hand and said “we pay, Momma” I told him we did not have time to play because we were trying to get ready for church.  He kept insisting however, “we PAY, Momma” and kept holding my hand.  I told him again we did not have time to play, but we would later.  Then he said “no, we PAAYY” and then I realized what he wanted to do… “we PRAY.” 

He knows when we sit down to eat a meal, the first thing we do is hold hands and pray.  I had just joined them with my food and he wanted to pray together before I ate.  “Oh! You want us to PRAY!” I finally realized and he grinned and nodded, “we pay!” So I held his little hand as we prayed over my breakfast and his daddy’s sermon and the people of the church where we were visiting. We pray.  There is so much power in that phrase.
He knows how to melt my heart and I had a tiny sigh of… for all the things we have screwed up in parenting, at least we are doing one thing right.  What a big reminder from someone so small- slow down, take a deep breath,… we pray.

When we arrived at church, we had the opportunity to visit with several people before the service started.  One of the church leaders came up to welcome us and say good morning, and he said he would like to pray with us before the service began.  It was the first time I had ever met him, and there is no way he could have known the specific word our family has been praying for the past several months, but as he prayed with us that morning he also specifically asked God for the EXACT request we have been making daily.  I will be honest, I began to cry.  It never ceases to amaze me how God reveals himself when… we pray.

There is a leadership figure in my life who is also a friend, and periodically he asks how he can pray for me specifically.  If you have never asked someone that question- start asking it!  It is the greatest gift you could give them.  The first time I was asked this question it stopped me in my tracks.  I had not just heard the generic “I’ll pray for you.”  The question “How can I specifically pray for you this week?” really meant:
1. I truly care.
2. I really am going to pray about this and not just tell you I will.
3. I trust God enough to ask Him for an individual need or situation.
It is a blessing how we can connect to one another and show true friendship when… we pray.

I will admit, sometimes I have good intentions of praying for a situation, but I don’t get it done.  Sometimes I think my request is too trivial to matter to the God of the Universe, but his word tells me that isn’t true. 
Jeremiah 29:12 says “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”
I want my first reaction to life’s struggles and joys to be like that little boy who grabbed my hand… “we pray.”
I want to truly carry the people in my life to the feet of Jesus when we pray.
The opportunity to see God do something amazing is powerful when we pray.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 “pray continually”

James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

1 comment:

  1. I loved this Kristi and it places a whole new look at bbq praying for each other

    ReplyDelete

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...