Tuesday, February 13, 2018

What Love Looks Like

Call me sappy, but I’m a big fan of Valentine’s Day. Now, I don’t mean all the flowers and balloons and chocolates and all of that stuff… but the celebration of love.  I think it is because my mom always made it such a fun holiday growing up.  No, she did not go overboard and send balloons and flowers to schools (as I teacher- THANK YOU, Mom, for not doing that!) but she always made it fun in some special way.  She would make a family favorite dinner complete with heart shaped Jello jigglers, or help us handmake Valentine cards with sparkly glitter glue.  She always had a small but special gift for us, and we celebrated love not in the mushy way, but the love of being a family.  Even during the awkward teen years when my friends were depressed by Valentine’s Day without a Prince Charming, I enjoyed it because I knew Mom wouldn’t fail to make it fun, and there would probably be heart shaped cookies to finish off a dinner of steak and baked potatoes. 

I saw that love wasn’t just “the mushy stuff.”  It is so much more than all of that.  And it makes me appreciate what “love” looks like in my life these days…

Love is walking into the kitchen and realizing someone else did the dishes already.
Love sacrifices a Sunday afternoon nap so I can have one.
Love says “I want to hold Mama.” (Sweetest toddler phrase ever!!)
Sometimes love doesn’t say anything, it just holds you while you cry.
Love gives big squeezy hugs then giggles and says “tickle, tickle, tickle!”
Love also gives sneak attack kisses.

I’ve watched love put aside its own feelings to do whatever it takes to take care of his family.
Love says “If you need me to dispose of a body I know where every sinkhole is on this place!” (No worries!! We haven’t done and wouldn’t do anything THAT stupid together, but I know her love would fight for me.)
Love shows up when you have a sick kid, your house is a mess, and you just need help.
Love sends a hand-written note in the mail to say “I’m thinking of you!”
Love takes care of bath time so you can have 5 minutes to just sit and rest.
Love wants to spend hours looking at pictures on our phones so he can see all his favorite people that he knows love him back.

Love helps figure out daycare pickup when Mommy can’t get there and Daddy is still at work.
Love is the look on his face when he is hugging the dog like his very best friend.
Love sends a text to say “I know you’re doing awesome.  I’m proud of you.”
Love does the laundry.
Love drops everything and comes when you need help.
Love lets you go run for your health and sanity, even when he is hungry and is anxious for you to fix dinner.
Love is where it is ok to not be ok.
Love says “I’m praying for you.”
Love checks in on you at just the right times.
Love wears a big cheesy grin and usually has sticky fingers.
Love makes you laugh.

Love brings home an unsweet tea “just because.”
Loves goes searching all over town (with a toddler) for medicine when you are sick.
Love sits with you when you are scared.
Love is brave in the face of fear.
Love does “evening duty” so you can still do some of the social things you want to do.
Love draws you a picture and writes “to the best teacher ever!”
Love reminds me that life doesn’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.
Love says “I help Mama!”
Love looks at Daddy as his hero.

Love changes the station so you can listen to music you both like.
Love drives when you are too tired to.
Love shows what sacrifice is all about.
Love holds on to each other for dear life.
Love remains.
Love forgives.
Love went to the cross…  THAT is a love worth celebrating.
“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Happy Valentine’s Day!  I hope you are able to look around and see the way love lives in your life this week. 


1 comment:

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...