Monday, January 29, 2018

A Tribute to Mentors

Over the past weekend some events happened that have caused me to be pretty reflective about the role of mentors. 

Due to injuries sustained in a horrible accident Friday, my family and entire hometown are grieving the heavy loss of our farm’s primary vet, but more importantly a great man.  While Dr. Bill was a very skilled vet who quickly came to our aid during several farm emergencies, the things I will remember most about him were not just what he did for our livestock.  I will remember how he treated US.  He was more than just a vet, he was a friend and mentor.  Dr. Bill was always a “cheerleader” for my sisters and I when it came to our endeavors in 4-H, FFA, and showing cattle in state and national shows.  When he came on a farm call, not only did he work on our animals, he always had a smile on his face, and he was always teaching us girls and explaining what he was doing.  He NEVER discredited us based on the fact that we were young or that we were girls in situations where many others would have written us off for one or both of those reasons.  I even remember a few occasions where he looked at my sweet Daddy, his friend, and laughingly but honestly gave him a gentle nudge to trust his daughters, they knew what they were doing when it came to the livestock.  I never was afraid to call his office or seek his veterinary advice because I knew he would never make me feel insignificant.  In high school, I served as a youth representative to our 4-H council and had the task of selling advertisements for the yearly 4-H handbook.  I approached Dr. McDonald about purchasing an ad for his vet clinic and he bought the back cover of the book.  What I DIDN’T know (until the book came out in print) was that he turned around and used a part of that prime ad space to congratulate me on an award I had recently won.  I was SO touched, but when I thanked him he just smiled and told me he was glad to do it.  He was a man who loved God and his family, and as a young person that spoke a lot to me.  I knew how much I appreciated and respected him in his profession, but to see him openly shine his light as a Christian made such an impression on me that you could be “successful” in more than one way.  I enjoyed his fantastic singing voice that he used to worship, and I got to share a laugh with him just a few weeks ago when we were at my home church for Christmas.  While his loss will be felt by the many, many lives he touched, I also know mine are just a minor few of the NUMEROUS stories I have heard of the way he cared for people and kind things he did.  He left a powerful legacy on our community.  And it makes me reflect on what kind of mentor I am to those watching me. Do I make a conscious effort to make people feel significant no matter their age or experience?  Am I an encourager?  Do I shine for Jesus in ways that point others to Him?  Thank you, Dr. Bill, for being someone who did those things in my life. 


On Sunday, a series of bizarre events ended up with me being sent to the Emergency Room for an eye issue.  (Yes, I am going to be fine.  It was a little scary, but only ER worthy because the initial doctors I saw felt the need for more tests that can only happen in the Emergency Room when it is Sunday and the eye drs office is closed.)  Of course, I couldn’t see to drive so (A) had to take me, which also meant (a) had to tag along.  The fact that he was along was a little chaotic, and I was scared to death of him being around all the flu germs from basically everyone else around us.  Thankfully my sister was in the area and came to rescue him from all the “excitement.”  Today, after everything had calmed down and I had seen yet another dr, (a) was talking to me about what had happened and what he had done while he was with my sister.  The thing that was most precious to me however, was that he kept saying over and over “My Daddy help Mama!! My Daddy is up, up, UP!  My Daddy help Mama!! My Daddy is up, up, UP!” (complete with hilarious hand motions!) Despite all the crazy things that were happening, and chaos around him the thing that he remembered most was that his Daddy was helping his Mama.  (I assume the up, up, up was giving Daddy some sort of recognition for this haha.)  I am so grateful that is the kind of role model my little boy has-  a man who is a loving, concerned husband who does whatever it takes to take care of me.  What an amazing mentor to look up to, what a worthy goal for (a) to strive to be. 

While my emotions are still running high from the events of the weekend, I am so thankful for the reminders about the power of mentors.  I am heartbroken, but also grateful for the opportunity to become more mindful that it is my little day to day actions toward others that matter the most.  Whether it is how I encourage or teach, the way I react to unexpected chaos, or make people feel significant in every situation- the power to be a mentor who points others toward Jesus is an opportunity I should never take for granted. 

“Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you.  Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.”  Hebrews 13:7 (NIV)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...