Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2017 Top Ten Blessings

I gave up making New Year’s Resolutions years ago… It was just a chance to set myself up for failure.  I tred to look at the New Year as a chance to make some plans for myself, but I also have learned that God may have a totally different set of plans that I don’t even see coming.  So instead, the last couple years I have taken the New Year as a chance to look BACK at the blessings of the past year, thank God for those blessings, and look at what I have learned about myself and my faith walk through those experiences.  To be completely honest, 2017 has been a VERY hard year for my family.  It has brought a lot of changes and challenges, but through it all God has continued to bless us and I choose to count those blessings.

So here… (in a general order) are my top ten favorites of 2017:

10.  New Favorite Recipes
              I have always enjoyed cooking.  As a busy mom and teacher, it is certainly hard to find time to cook, but I try to cook for my family as often as possible.  This year brought 3 new favorite recipes to my kitchen.
              -Tomato Basil Bisque (So easy and cheap! I like it best with FRESH basil)
              -CreamyChicken and Wild Rice Soup (I add mushrooms and carrots to make it a little more hearty, and because I make it more hearty I cut the flour back to ½ cup)
              -HerbedWatermelon and Feta Salad  (Seriously- the strangest mix of ingredients but I LOVE it! Fabulous summer salad! Especially since I grow several of my own herbs from spring to late fall)

9.  Spring Mill State Park Adventures
         Spring Mill has always been one of my favorite places.  I grew up only about 20 minutes from the park and it was often the scene of some of my favorite summer adventures for my family- picnics, afternoons at the park’s public pool, playing in the creek, exploring the pioneer village.  It had been several years however, since I had spent much time there.  This spring/summer brought me back a few times and a chance to introduce (a) to the fun of this fabulous state park and make new memories there with him.  We treated my mom to a Mothers’ Day picnic, hike, and afternoon in the pioneer village.  Then a few weeks later my guys and I spent an afternoon of fun there. 


8.  Spring Break with my Grandparents
              I am fully aware that I am incredibly blessed that in my mid 30’s I still have 3 living grandparents.  They have been such wonderful influences on my life and I absolutely LOVE getting to share my son with them.  The guys and I were fortunate enough to spend our spring break this year in Louisiana with my maternal grandparents.  They introduced (a) to his first Cajun food- which he loved, he walked my grandpa around the yard and porch 7,392,645 times, they shared ice cream cones, laughter, and played for endless hours.  I never get tired of my Grandpa’s stories from his Air Force career or days as a child in my hometown.  I could gain 100 lbs eating my Granny’s delicious cooking, and once again this trip I was so grateful for her seamstress skills as she has helped with more than one special event outfit (NOT related to the weight gained from her cooking!!)  I cherish the memories we have made with them, and this spring break was no exception.


7.  Running
              Never, ever, in a zillion years would I have thought RUNNING would make a top ten list in MY life… but it happened.  In April we joined a Bible study group in our town called “Run for God.”  It was a 12 week study that went with training for a 5K and culminated with the race at the end.  I had no idea how much “therapy” running would be for me.  It was great time to spend as a family getting our runs in together, and was an excellent push for me to step out of my comfort zone.  From July to Sept we completed 3 different 5Ks as a couple and (A) did one other by himself.  I now find myself CRAVING a run several times a week and ENJOYING the time I spend pounding the pavement.  While I am certainly NOT an accomplished runner by any means, it is a discipline that was a huge accomplishment for me.  It was a major lifestyle change for me to become a runner, and one change I plan to keep!


6.  Church Camp
              Camp has always held a very special place in my heart.  Ever since I was a young girl I loved attending camp.  I was baptized at camp, I met (A) at camp, we spent several of our college summers working for a camp, and volunteering at camp is our favorite way of doing ministry together as a couple.  This year was one of my all-time favorite weeks we have ever coordinated.  We introduced new elements for learning and committing to spiritual growth, poured our hearts in to team-teaching/speaking together for the first time, shared our faith with 150+ students through the 3 events we deaned, brought in a great Christian comedian, and the week ended with one of my BEST EVER camp highlights- I had the privilege to baptize one of my former 3rd grade students who was in attendance at our week.  I don’t even have adequate words to express how much this year’s camp ministry experience blessed and taught me.



5.  One Life Out Loud
              For a long time, God had been laying on my heart the fact that I should continue to pursue women’s ministry through writing.  I took some time to think and pray about the best way for that to happen and in June of 2017 I launched this blog.  I had no idea how much it would teach me, how it would grow me in my own faith, and what a blessing it would be to my life.  I can’t thank my readers enough for your kind words and encouragement weekly.  I am humbled and blown away that hundreds of people each week read my words, and I fervently pray that those words glorify God and bring people closer to Him.  As with the commitment to running, blogging has been an act of personal discipline that has HUGELY changed my life, and one I am excited to continue in the coming year.

4.  Gifts of Experience
              A few years ago, we made a decision to start cutting back on gifts of “things” and starting giving more gifts of experiences.  It is a decision I would HIGHLY recommend if you have never tried it before.  As I mentioned earlier, a picnic day at Spring Mill with all of her girls was my mom’s Mothers’ Day gift. My sister gave (a) tickets to both the zoo and children’s museum, both of which led to SOOO much fun together as a family and wonderful memories made.  Instead of gifts for our 10th wedding anniversary we took a vacation together (just the two of us) to celebrate.  (A) surprised me in late July with tickets to see one of my favorite bands (the Oak Ridge Boys) in late Oct as my Christmas gift.  And in August, he asked if he could have Oct tickets to see Garth Brooks as his Christmas present (to which of course I said YES!)  We made so many fun memories through these experiences, and I didn’t have to worry about anything fitting incorrectly or needing to be dusted.   














3.  Faithful, Faith-filled Friends
              As this year presented some very difficult challenges, it also led us to experience the love and support of faithful friends.  Ministry friends from across the country stepped in to provide prayers, love, and encouragement. Our church camp “family” literally held us up and introduced us to our new “in the meantime” church home which has been another source of encouragement and spiritual growth.  Church family from 10 years of ministry have showed love and appreciation for all my husband has poured into them, and we have seen what TRUE friendship is really worth.

2.  Toddler Parenting
              Sharing our lives with a busy little boy has been SUCH an adventure- and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!!  He loves to dance, read, play with his dogs, feed cows, ride horses, wear glasses, lick things, make messes, eat 24/7, and snuggle.  He would live outside if we would let him and he is fiercely independent (I have NO clue where he gets that, haha!)  He is QUITE a talker who knows how to try our patience and melt our hearts, and usually switches between those two things within a matter of minutes.  Parenting has been challenging and fun, exhausting and joy-filled all at the same time.  I pray we are teaching him daily how to be a gentleman, a friend, and most importantly how to love Jesus.  We realize what a precious gift we have in him, and thank God every day for that privilege.
 

 1.  Celebrating 10 Years of Marriage
              It really is true, time flies when you’re having fun!  When I married him 10 years ago, (A) promised me there would never be a dull moment- and he has held true to that promise!  We laugh a lot, we push each other to be our best, we have clung to each other through very tough days, cheered each other to victories, and we have taken care of each other in illness.  We are a ministry team, a parenting team, and best friends.  In April we celebrated our anniversary, but more importantly, every day I am thankful to God for what we have together through him and what He has brought (A) and I through together. 



I hope the New Year brought you a chance to count your blessings from our Father who does not change in His love for us, and I pray that 2018 brings you many more of God’s good gifts!!
“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17 (NIV)

Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...