Friday, December 24, 2021

What DID Get Done for Christmas

 The stockings were hung, by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there! Unless St. Nick is coming to our house… cause in the hectic I never managed to finish decorating the mantles at either fireplace.  When that jolly ole elf arrives tonight, he is going to have to dig the stockings out of my Christmas tote so he can fill them. 

 

But if Santa has been watching, here is what he has seen this week.  Cookies were made, decorated, and eaten with a lot of hard work, determination, and giggles.  Christmas cards were delivered to local friends with a smile and a few even got a hug (if you aren’t local I’m just hoping it arrives in the mail before the New Year).  Christmas movies were watched with sweet snuggles all around.  The older two proudly shopped and picked out their own gifts for their siblings and each parent (and so far have managed to keep secret what they got us!)  We have viewed fantastic Christmas light displays with awe and wonder, and washed/set aside the Christmas jammies everyone is going to wear tonight.  And while the surface looks like adventures, what we have really been doing this week is making memories, sharing joy, doing things for one another out of love, and celebrating the birth of our Savior.

 

 If you ask (a) every song that comes on the radio must either be “Joy to the World” or “Go Tell it on the Mountain.” He has memorized some Christmas verses this year and is happy to share them.  He and I work a lot together on scripture memorization (my feelings on the importance of that is a whole lesson in itself), but more than just memorization we talk a lot about context.  We were working on Luke 2:12, and the second day he wanted to try it all on his own before practicing it together.  He proudly announced “This is your clue.  There is a baby in a feed bunk!”  Traditional wording, not quite. Context- pretty spot on.  As (b) decorated Christmas cookies there was a candle sitting on the counter burning to fill the house with the smell of Christmas.  Before he ate his cookie, I caught him leaning over the candle singing “Happy Birthday.” Happy Birthday, Jesus has been a favorite Christmas takeaway for him at two years old.  I think they get it. 

 

Late on the night of the 23rd I was trying to plan a special goodbye from their elf, Elfie (the story goes that he flies back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve, so the morning of the 24th is the last time they go looking for him in the house.)  As I walked into the basement living room I couldn’t help but notice the way (a) had set up their little nativity scene.  Instead of posing it facing outward as we typically see, he had every person and animal gathered into a semicircle turned toward and focused on the Baby Jesus.  It melted my heart, and made me thankful.  I threw out my original plan and took Elfie to join the scene of those who stared adoringly at Jesus.


 

No, this Christmas I didn’t get it all done (case in point- the presents I haven’t even started wrapping yet), but we got a lot done.  A lot of the good stuff.  And that’s what Christmas is all about- giving adoration to the one who gave the best gift of all.  Remembering the promise he fulfilled, and thanking him for ALL the good gifts he gives us every single day (especially the three snuggled around me watching Christmas movies with tummies full of cookies).

 

Merry Christmas from my family and One Life Out Loud!!

 


“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means God with us.” Matthew 1:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...