Thursday, December 16, 2021

Making a List, Checking it Twice

 There’s a song about Santa making a list and checking it twice.  I don’t know if that is accurate or not for that guy, but man does it describe this mama right before Christmas!!

 

As a teacher, this is one of the craziest weeks of the year- I have made two Stuff-Mart runs already to make sure I have everything for our various parties, festivities, Grinch Day, crafts, Secret Santa gifts, and dress up days.  My family is having our first Christmas this weekend, so there is a checklist for that event that is totally separate.  There are still several gifts to buy for various people, Christmas cards that need to be sent out, cookies to make, and so many other things to do.  I’m always making a list, and checking it at least twice.  The list eases a lot of the “hustle and bustle” for me and makes things less stressful, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t busy and often chaotic making sure I have everything on the list. 

 

Yesterday was “Grinch Day” in my classroom- one of those days with a LONG list of things I needed.  And no matter what day it is at school things are hectic in our house in the mornings.  I was feeling fairly calm, but just trying to check the list twice to make sure everyone had everything they needed.  (b) and (lk) were dressed and ready and I was hoping they would both just play quietly for a few minutes while we made the finishing touches on our daily run out the door.  Note I said HOPING they would play quietly, that doesn’t happen real often for (b), he is usually in turbo drive, and often in doing so, crashes into his baby sister and causes all out chaos.  However, yesterday morning I looked from the kitchen to the living room to find him sitting in the floor with his sister, holding a Christmas book about the animals’ reaction to the nativity to her, and telling her over and over in his little two-year-old voice about “Baby Jesus! See Baby Jesus!”  It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.  And she was very intrigued by his story and kept smiling at him and trying to grab the pages.  In the middle of my hectic, I had to stop and take some pictures, and say a little prayer of thanksgiving for the sweet reminder.


 

No matter how many times I check my list this Christmas, may it never take my focus from the beautiful simplicity of what this season is all about.  “Baby Jesus! See Baby Jesus!”

 

“She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name, Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...