Friday, December 10, 2021

All is "Calm"

 I ordered our Christmas cards earlier this week, and had to giggle at myself when I finished the order and then reconsidered the card I had chosen.  One the front it says “All is calm and bright.” It was pretty, had a faith-based influence, and could fit several pictures on it- those were my criteria in choosing a card design.  However, after hitting order I had to laugh at the statement, because truthfully, there is NOTHING calm about our household right now (evidence in point- I’m publishing my blog a day late).  There is a lot of joy, a lot of fun, a lot of memories being made, and a lot of love shared, but there is nothing “calm.” Instead, there is squealing and cackling of laughter, often some arguing or shouting over a toy or stolen item of high interest at the moment, and lots of requests for food.  There is often someone running, crying, or desperately looking for their lost boot, belt, backpack, or favorite pair of jeans. 

 

Calm is not a word I would ever use to describe our home (or honestly any of our children for that matter), but I would say it is safe, it is a place that encourages faith, hard work, cooperation, communication, fun, and interaction with one another.  We don’t appear calm when we are having a kitchen dance party of worship music, but in that my heart is calm.  We don’t appear calm when the three of them are playing together and all laughing at the top of their lungs, but in that my heart is calm.  We don’t look calm as they boys cheer for rodeo on the TV or barrel through the basement on their stick horses together, but my heart is calm as I watch them doing things they love together.

Not a lot of calm when cowboy (b) is watching the National Finals Rodeo

 There is very little calm in our day to day chaos.  But when they all are asleep and quiet falls over the house, I find myself reflecting.  There must have been moments that first Christmas that didn’t feel so calm either.  The challenge of traveling extremely pregnant, finding no place to stay in a busy city packed with travelers, and realizing the baby is coming when you are not at home.  And when I consider it that way, I wonder if calm may not always be the appearance on the outside, but more a state of the heart.  That place when you realize that God is still in control, He still has a plan, He is still working things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose, and He is still waiting for the invitation to pour His peace into your chaotic life.  Calm is knowing that I don’t know it all, can’t fix it all, and can’t do it all- but I know the one who can and turn to Him to sustain me. 

 

And so, if you see us “doin’ our thing” as a family, you may not see the appearance of calm, but maybe I can say “all is calm” as I know where my heart lies and who holds together all of our chaos.

 

“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on Earth, peace to those on whom His favor rests.” Luke 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...