Thursday, June 25, 2020

ONE


I will never understand how time moves so quickly.  By this time next week, (b) will be ONE.  ONE whole year of fun, snuggles, bright blue eyes, and wrinkle-nose smiles.  ONE year of watching two brothers ADORE each other in every way, and learning how to navigate parenthood when there are two small people to be responsible for.  My word for the year in 2019 was “JOY,” and it was so appropriate in every way, especially considering how much of that was added by (b) joining our family that year.  While he was not our first adventure in parenting, we still learned so much by watching our joy multiply into another little boy.



At ONE month old, we took him to church camp with us.  He was still NOT a good sleeper at the time (oh how thankful I am that now he is a sleeping rock-star), I was nursing exclusively, and I was only 4 weeks post c-section.  But in that week, I watched God remind me how I can be a mom and still serve others as well.  Looking back, I have no idea how we even functioned through that week… the nights were short… like 4-5 hrs of sleep short.  The days were busy, I was having to find time to feed the baby, and keeping up with high school kids during a week of camp is also very physically demanding.  Oh, and I was sleeping on a church camp, wooden, bunk-bed.  But I enjoyed that week so very much.  God gave us strength and endurance that came from Him alone.  I didn’t miss a single student-oriented function all week, (b) was sweet and flexible enough to take all of his feedings or rare fussy moments during break times, recreation times, or canteen.  I was able to focus on being mom when he needed me, and focus on our students when they needed me.  It was a powerful lesson in how God could meet my needs when I relied on Him.






ONE major difference between our boys was my health after delivery.  I had a lot of health issues the first time around, and truthfully I don’t remember much for the first 7 weeks of (a)’s life.  This time was entirely different and I was able to soak up SO many precious snuggles, just watching him sleep, coo, or make faces at me.  It was a strong reminder of how fleeting the days are, and has made me slow down more often to just enjoy little moments with them.  Just last weekend, I began to take (b) to his crib for nap time but then had second thoughts and just settled down into the couch to hold him while he slept.  These precious moments won’t last forever.

ONE of my biggest worries was how the boys would feel about each other.  I knew (a) was excited to be a big brother, but I didn’t know if he really understood what that meant and I was worried what he would do when the “newness” wore off and this brother thing became his reality every day.  As we reach the ONE year mark, I’m so thankful to say I had nothing to worry about.  They absolutely adore each other.  They love to play together, the way they can make each other laugh can lighten even the gloomiest days, (a) loves to be his protector but also introduce him to new things.  He loves to introduce him to other people and is so proud to tell them all about how special (b) is.  And thankfully, in 358 days of brother life, I have only heard ONCE “I don’t want this baby!” (That involved the next statement of “He’s destroying my fences!” Ya just can’t get between big brother and his cowboy operation)

(b) is our Mr. ONEderful, he is full of wONEder every day as he grows and changes, it has been ONE incredible year as his parents, and I am ONE thankfully, blessed mama.


“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

  1. Happiest of Birthdays to my little buddy! He truly brings a smile to your face instantly with his sweet smile or his busy face with his tongue out. He has such a sweet demeanor and his snuggles are to die for! What a fun year it has been to watch you grow little one:) I can't wait to celebrate you!

    ReplyDelete

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...