Thursday, April 9, 2020

Things Aren't Always What They Seem


I had a great idea today of doing a little Easter photo shoot with my kiddos… the lighting was perfect, the flowers in the yard made a great backdrop, I had Easter props, and we even had reasonably coordinated outfits considering I can’t get out and shop, it seemed like everything was in great shape- except for my photo subjects.  They were not real interested in cooperation.  One was tired and grumpy, the other did not want to be out of my arms.  The day was warming up quickly, and (a) was complaining that he was just hot.  I begged, I bribed, I pleaded… and then I also began to get the terrible smell of a pile of fresh dog… well you get the picture.  So, after 46 shots I managed to get a FEW cute pictures of them individually- there are no “good” ones of the two of them together and most of them look disastrously like two sad, grumpy boys.  And I mean so disastrous that my husband couldn’t stop laughing when I showed them to him (have I mentioned that he is still working and not home 24/7 with our tiny humans… our sense of humor does not always seem to align). 



Now, when I post their Easter pictures on social media this weekend, the messy ones won’t be the ones you see.  Not that I’m trying to be an InstaPinFace perfect mom, I just can’t shake the mentality I was raised with that you put your best foot forward… and I’m all about my personal social media being positive and upbeat.  Because of that, there will be followers who will make sweet comments about how cute the boys are, or what a lovely family we have, or other pleasantries such as this- and I do sincerely appreciate the sweetness, and I do cherish my family.  But when you see the few successful pictures, giggle to yourself if you have read this, and please remember that things aren’t always what they seem.  To get those few pictures there were tears, bribes, some editing (thank you iPhone for the “live” photo option!), and a pile of dog poop involved- things aren’t always what they seem.   



In preparation for this Holy Week, my Sunday School class of ladies has been reading through a book by one of my favorite Christian authors for the last 8 weeks.  The book has taken a look at the women in the Easter account and the relationship they had built with their Lord, Jesus, leading up to his crucifixion and resurrection.  One of the many things that stuck out to me in this study was just how differently many of the followers thought this story was going to unfold.  Right up to Jesus arrest, still so many of them thought he had come to be a military leader- to overthrow the Roman government.  On that dark Friday they were feeling so much brokenness and defeat.  Not only were they mourning the loss of their friend, they were fearful and confused… this was not at all how they thought things were supposed to happen.  Jesus was dead, the disciples had scattered into hiding, the religious establishment seemed to have won, and a feeling of hopelessness had set in… but thank you, Jesus, that things aren’t always what they seem. 

This Resurrection Sunday we will celebrate as never before… without the gatherings of friends and family, without many of the usual shared festivities, without the packed church buildings, and without all the usual pre-planned frocks.  I know there are lots of people disappointed by this, and I will admit there are two adults living in my house who have had some of those feelings.  But just maybe, things aren’t always what they seem.  Because our services are streamed online, I believe we will be celebrating with even more people than just those who would be in our typical building.  Because we miss them, we are more likely to cherish our virtual visits with family and friends that day.  Without all the gatherings and events to distract us, we may just focus more than ever on the true joy of the empty tomb.  Maybe, just maybe, instead of this being the hardest and least anticipated Easter ever- this will be the most celebrated Resurrection Sunday we have ever experienced.  Thank you, Jesus, that things aren’t always what they seem!

“Dear woman, why are you crying?” they asked. Mary answered, “They have taken away my Lord, I and I don’t know where they’ve laid him.” Then she turned around to leave, and there was Jesus standing in front of her, but she didn’t realize that it was him! He said to her, “Dear woman, wy are you crying? Who are you looking for?” Mary answered, thinking he was only the gardener, “Sir, if you have taken his body somewhere else, tell me, and I will go and…” “Mary,” Jesus interrupted her.  Turning to face him, she said, “Rabboni!” (Aramaic for “my teacher”) John 20:13-16 (TPT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...