Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Normal


Normal… it’s such a relative term.  My “normal” day might not look like yours, my “normal” diet could be different.  My “normal” wardrobe looks different from my sister’s, and my “normal” sleep pattern is different from my husband’s.  In light of the all the unknowns happening in our world right now, it seems like “normal” is a word that is being thrown around a lot- in particular the phrase “when things get back to normal.” 

Our 4-year-old cowboy is well aware that things are kind of strange right now.  He really misses his family, friends, and going to his favorite places, BUT it hasn’t phased his attitude or outlook.  In fact, he thinks many things are still perfectly normal.  He loves being home with (b) and me all day ((A) is still working from his office most of the time), he is still dressing like a cowboy each day, playing outside every chance he gets, eating like there is no tomorrow, making art projects, and using that vivid imagination.  While the schedule for these things is completely out of our regular routine, he thinks it is very “normal”… and for me that is so refreshing.  While the world around me spins full of uncertainties and concerns, being a kid and being a part of our family just seems “normal” to him. 
Just his normal outfit...

Doing his "normal" thing...

Enjoying his "normal" smiley face...

It has made me start to wonder if parts of this craziness should become our new “normal.”  Things such as the more frequent dinners with all of us home, the number of cards I have sent to people “just because,” the creativity of cleaning out the pantry before I absolutely have to make a grocery run, being very careful not to waste things, praying fervently for the healthy and safety of the people I love, consciously thinking first of how I could support small local businesses before a chain retailer, calling people instead of simply sending a text, turning off the TV so we can read and craft and play, and I should probably even make it my “normal” to wipe down that grocery cart handle with the sanitizing wipes at the door. 

I realize work schedules and other important, worthwhile obligations make these things hard- but it does make me consider the intention with which I live.  This year the word I have been focusing on is PURPOSE. And while we have been home for so many days in a row, I have really been thinking more about the purpose for many of my “normal” actions.  Is there a purpose for turning the TV on this morning? If not, leave it off (or my personal favorite… turn it to one of the channels that just plays music, no picture, that lends itself to lots of fun dance parties as we eat and play and work around the house!)  Is there a purpose for the action I’m taking? If not, maybe I could put my time to better use.  Note, there is major purpose in simply sitting and snuggling those sweet boys or watching them play, there is NOT always purpose in picking up my phone. 

Trust me when I say that we do NOT have all this quarantine thing figured out… my house is messier than when I am working, the kiddos are doing a lot of crying some days, I still have a huge list of projects to tackle, I’m still having emotional come-aparts almost daily, but I will admit this… when life goes back to “normal” there are going to be parts of this thing that I am really going to miss.  And there are things I am doing that I hope will become my “normal.”

“Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.” Psalm 90:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...