Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Outtakes

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is creating/sending the family Christmas card picture.  From my very first Christmas at 6 months old, my mom began taking a family Christmas card picture, and it is a tradition I have continued with my own family.  I love watching us grow and sharing those memories with friends and family.  I remember as a child my mom would dress us up, often in matching or coordinating outfits, plan her background, and pose us to try and catch the perfect smiles for her picture.  She would shoot through an entire roll of film, then we would drop it off for developing.  Four to five days later she would anxiously pick up the pictures and flip through all 24 (or often the 27 exposure BONUS roll) shots in hopes that she caught the perfectly cute picture.  Usually, along with a perfect pose or two, she had 22 outtakes that either made you completely crack up or shake your head and groan. 

For the past four Christmas seasons, I have found myself in the same shoes my mama used to wear… outfits and back drop planned, then cross my fingers and hope that my kiddo(s) cooperate for the perfect Christmas card picture.  I’m so thankful for the digital age, where my pictures are now available for immediate review, however I still tend to end up with 25 outtakes to 1 perfect picture. 

This year was no exception, and was of course, a little trickier considering I was trying to coerce smiles out of two children at the same time.  At one point while we sat in front of the Christmas tree with both boys in matching jammies, (a) politely and matter of factly announced, “I’m done with this.”  (A) and I looked at each other and completely cracked up before we turned to him and admitted defeat for that photo session. 

A few days (and 3 photo sessions later) I sat down to choose the pictures that would go on this year’s Christmas card.  As I looked through the large amount of outtakes, I couldn’t help but giggle and realize, that is where life really happens… in the outtakes.  Most days my boys are not wearing coordinating clothes, honestly, most days they aren’t even clean by the end of the day.  It is rare for everyone to be smiling at the same time, and it is extremely rare for them to be sitting still.  Most of the time, our life doesn’t look like a perfect Christmas card picture, but that is ok.  We may not have our act together, but together we have a home that is filled with laughter and stories, love and support.  We answer 5,935,672 questions per day and clean up close to that many messes.  We discuss the importance of healthy food and making the kind of choices that would make Jesus happy.  In the outtakes we find teachable moments about safety and obedience, we make memories that will last for years, and we learn to grow in patience.  In the outtakes you see our real life- the messy, beautiful chaos that makes a family. 

Maybe someday I will get really brave and create a Christmas card completely from the outtakes… but for this year I will still send out the adorable picture where both kids are smiling and we look like we have it together… and for now, I will share with you some of the outtakes.

This one had great potential... until you realize we are missing a kiddo- he jumped out of the picture just before it was "clicked" so he could peek in the window of another house in this Christmas village.



“Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...