Tuesday, December 18, 2018

That Baby Changes Everything


Everyone told us that having children would change our lives and perspectives.  “A baby changes everything,” they said.  And I knew that was going to be true, but until becoming a mom I didn’t know exactly what things would change. 

If you follow my personal social media, you saw this weekend that my perspective was changed on “that one” child that never behaves for the church Children’s Christmas Program.  Before becoming a mom, I always thought the child who was totally “off script” was funny and often even cute… then this weekend it was our own little cowboy jumping off the stage and falling to the floor as if he had been shot.  He brought a lot of giggles to my Facebook followers (and yes, I eventually laughed about it too), but as it was happening I wanted to crawl under the pew and hide. 


Motherhood has brought a lot of change to my perspective on Christmas, too.  I have wanted to start special traditions- several of which he as refused to participate in, so I had to let go of my starry-eyed ideas of being an InstaPinFace perfect mom.  Other times it has slowed me down from my frantic preparations to snuggle as we read Christmas books or watch Christmas movies.  It has made me take in the awe and wonder much more often.  I giggle and smile more during the season.  Last night his “ooohss” and “ahhhs” were over 2 simple strands of Christmas lights.  And the simplicity of that joy made my heart flutter.

Having a little one also changes my level of anticipation.  This year he has a couple of gifts that I hope he will find extra special and fun (I sure hope he doesn’t crush my dreams again like with the “traditions” haha!)  And because we are excited to give those gifts to him, I am really looking forward to Christmas morning.  I also find more anticipation in the family gatherings as well.  I have always loved getting together with my family, but even more so now, because I love watching them interact with him.  They get to share in the joy that we find in him each day.

People weren’t kidding.  A baby changes everything.

It has also changed my perspective on the most important baby we could ever celebrate.  Understanding the love for a child, makes me overwhelmed to think of the love God has for us that He willingly sent His own Son to come to earth as a baby.  To think that baby wasn’t heralded by kings and royalties, but was born in a stable- talk about crushing your InstaPinFace Perfect Mom dreams.  That humbles me.  THAT baby truly changes EVERYTHING.  It changes my life to feel so loved by God.  It changes my level of anticipation to want to share the joy I find in Him each day.  It changes how I see my faults and failures and “off script” moments. 

Just like all the people who tried to prepare us for parenthood, Isaiah prophesied that baby would change everything.  “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 

Wonderful Counselor changes my heart, and helps me to sort through the things in life that I don’t understand.  Mighty God has shown me just how powerful He is, and that he truly cares for and fights for His children.  Everlasting Father has made His faithfulness evident in my life, even on some of the hardest and darkest days.  The Prince of Peace has given me a peace that passes my own understanding, even in the midst of life’s storms.  In my life, THAT baby changed everything. 

My prayer this Christmas, is that I would continue to be changed daily by THAT baby.  Because he didn’t stay a tiny baby, He came to be my Savior, and I thank God that changes EVERYTHING.

May you and yours be richly blessed this Christmas season as we celebrate the birth of the baby who changed everything, Emmanuel, God with us.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...