Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Christmas Lights


One of my very favorite things about Christmas is the lighting.  I absolutely LOVE to sit by the glow of the tree.  I have our tree lights on timers so that pretty much any time it is the least bit dark outside, the lights are on. 


It has been a little more fun to enjoy the lights this year, because the space in our new home allowed for more lights.  There is a big tree in the living room, and greenery on the mantle, greenery on the stairway railing, and a small tree in the dining area.  All of these are lit at the same time and the lights reflect off of the hardwood floor making the room glow almost brighter than it does with the actually living room lights on (ok, maybe that is because the living room lighting is TERRIBLE).  In the basement we have another full-sized tree and greenery on the mantle, and again the glow is so beautiful the light shines even to the top of the stairs.


To me, there is something comforting about the glow of those lights.  It makes me feel cozy and safe.  It makes the sad feeling of the 4:30 pm dark much less gloomy.  It brings a beauty to the house that is totally different.  The tree lights make snuggling with a sleepy toddler even more snuggly, and Hallmark movie “couch dates” with the hubby more romantic.  That beautiful, warm glow brings a little extra peace to the busy season and joy to my heart.  And in January, it KILLS me to take down the tree, because I just hate the thought of that beautiful lighting leaving my home.

It also reminds me, that Jesus tells us to be the light of the world.  And when I think about how much I love my tree lights, I realize what a huge and humbling task He asks of us.  I want my light to make others feel safe and cozy.  That they could come to me if they needed a soft place to land.  I want that light to make me different, because after all it isn’t MY light that they are seeing, but who Jesus is shining out of me.  I want that light to glow with a beauty that is totally different than anything else, because it glorifies God.   I want people to see a light that brings a little more peace to a situation, and joy to their hearts.  And I want to be horrified at the thought of that light ever leaving my home and my life. 

I am ashamed to admit that some days, my light isn’t as beautiful as the Christmas tree.  I get easily frustrated and discouraged, I don’t always choose joy like I should, and some days busyness and exhaustion get the best of my light. 

I pray that this Christmas, the lights I love so much will constantly remind me of the light I am called to share with others.  The light of Jesus that makes such a difference in every circumstance, the light I never have to put away no matter the season.

“You are the light of the word.  A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5: 14, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...