Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Roots and Wings


My parents have given me a lot of great gifts over the years.  I remember the Christmas of the new saddle, the pink birthday bicycle, lots of favorite outfits, my first phone (back in the days where it flipped open, the antenna pulled out, I only had 150 total minutes and texting didn’t even exist), and countless other wonderful things.  However, this past weekend, I was reminded of two of the very best gifts they ever gave me… my roots and my wings. 

On Sunday, I had the rare privilege of worshiping in my home church.  When you marry a preacher, you don’t make it back to your hometown on Sunday mornings very often, so it is a very special treat when it happens.  I was raised in a red brick church, surrounded by cornfields, just a couple miles from our house.  Growing up, many families were farm families like mine, and many families had more than one generation there in the church.  Over the years the building has changed and grown, some of the families I knew have come and gone as happens in churches, but as I walked in on Sunday morning I couldn’t help but feel such a sense of gratefulness for the roots I have there.  Communion meditation was led by a man I have known and admired all my life, and he used 3 ears of corn and a farming reference to drive home a powerful message.  The men passing the trays mostly wore boots and jeans, as they have all my life.  I was hugged and waved at by former Sunday school teachers and friends’ parents.  I got to visit with high school friends who are now raising their own children in that church and stand in between my parents as we sang during the worship service.  As I stood there taking it all in, I was almost overwhelmed by how deeply planted my roots are there.  It was there I developed a passion for serving in worship ministry, back when I was still small enough I had to stand on a stool to help lead songs.  I learned what it meant to sacrifice of your time, energy, and talents to volunteer in aspects of ministry, as I watched my parents and other role models give freely of themselves.  I fell in love with the stories of the Old Testament and how God continually pursued His people through Sunday school teachers and children’s church leaders.  I learned what it meant to live in community with other believers through a close-knit youth group and the way we were taken care of by each other’s parents on several occasions.  I was encouraged, supported, and loved through all my formative years, and even now, I feel the same way walking back through those doors.  Yes, over the years the faces and leaders have changed, the programs have different names, the music sounds different.  But it was there, that the roots to my faith were planted deeply and firmly.  They were nurtured and tended so that once I started to grow my roots would keep my solidly grounded.


My parents rooted us in family.  As we celebrated my Great-Aunt’s 93rd birthday this weekend, there was a lot of time to reminisce about memories and visit with family that we don’t see often enough.  I got to have one of those late-night chats with my sister where we solved all the world’s problems, and I was reminded yet again how much I miss living closer to her.  The antics of my little cowboy brought the familiar sound of laughter from my grandpa that I so dearly love to hear.  My mom and Granny kept our bellies too full, and (a)’s teasing interactions with my uncle reminded me of similar teasing from 30 years ago. 

They rooted us in community, agriculture, work ethic, and responsibility.  Harvest has started for my dad, and I doubt I will ever think of harvest without thinking of the year he took a fall and broke several ribs at harvest time.  I was in college, and while he was in the hospital I just kept stressing about how I was going to manage keeping up with my work at Purdue while needing to go home and help get harvest done while he was hurt.  But I didn’t have to stress long, because a neighbor stepped in to help.  We were rooted in community. 





Our roots were planted deeply and firmly.  They were solid enough to keep us anchored in the things that mattered most, and when the time was right, those roots allowed us accept and use our next gift… our wings.

As I reminisced this weekend, I also couldn’t help but think of how much life has happened, really in just the few short years since I spread my wings.  I will forever be grateful that my parents encouraged us to fly.  I know it is easier to keep your family close beside you, but the gift of being willing to let go means the world.  They always encouraged us to follow our dreams and where God was taking our lives, even if that didn’t bring us home for more than a visit.  The night they dropped me off for my freshman year of college, my mom didn’t cry.  I would like to think that inside it was hard for her, but she never let it show on the outside, because she wanted me to spread my wings and discover who God was creating me to be.  She remined me that she was raising me- to let me go.  What a wonderful gift.  Learning to fly hasn’t always been easy, and I still love the chance to return to their nest from time to time, but it has allowed me to grow and see things differently, and follow God’s direction for my life.  Flying has given me opportunities I didn’t see coming, and a chance to discover and nurture gifts and talents God placed deep inside of me. 



Roots to stand firm and wings to fly- thanks Mom & Dad for such great gifts.  I pray that I will be able to pass them on to our son one day.  And I’m glad that you are still watering our roots, and allowing us to fly home when we get the chance. 

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in Him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.” Colossians 2:6-7    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...