Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Change


I have often heard it said that the only constant in life is change.  Change has been on my mind a lot lately, because frankly the only thing in my life that ISN’T changing right now is who I’m married to and that silly little boy we are raising (and honestly he changes every day too!)  I’ve filled out “change of address” forms and we’ve changed over most of our banking- both of which stress me out and make me worry that I have forgotten something important.  Since I know we will be changing doctors and insurances I’ve been running around making sure everyone in our family (2 legged and 4 legged) have their check-up and prescription refills.  Even the time zone we live in is changing, so I am trying to get used to the right times to get ahold of people.

Change can be hard for me, I will admit that.  Shoot, I don’t want to change the wall colors in my house… so since I am changing houses I have even taken pictures of the specific numbers off the tops of my paint cans so the paint store can re-make me the exact same colors.  (Yeah… I’m not even joking about that.) 

But I also know that sometimes change can be good, sometimes change is necessary for growth.  On top of all our life changes, we are trying to change (a)’s habits too- that kid may look cute sucking his thumb, but he is going to cost us a fortune in braces if he doesn’t kick that thing to the curb quickly.  We are trying to convince him that he should change from his thumb to snuggling a toy instead.  Some days that works… others not so much.  On Sunday evening as we were making the drive back from Illinois, he was tired of the long ride and super angry with me that I would not let him get out of his car seat and sit up front beside me.  I told him that wasn’t safe and wasn’t happening.  He promptly stuck his thumb in his mouth in rebellion towards my decision, and then took it out long enough to announce (with attitude) “And I NOT going to take my fum out of my mouf!” Yep… sometimes change needs to happen.

As I was packing last week I found a picture of (A) standing by the marquee of the church where he had his first preaching ministry.  It was a little church in southern Kentucky and he just drove down on the weekends to preach.  When I was home from Purdue on breaks I was able to go down with him.  It was a tiny congregation, but they were wonderfully sweet.  I smiled as I looked at the picture and thought back.  He was 20, still figuring out his preaching style, learning leadership qualities, and the weekends I got to go with him we spent the long drive dreaming about what our life might someday be like.  I snapped the picture as they used the sign to welcome him in his first couple weeks there.  The label on the back of the picture told me that it was taken 15 years ago.  Not much time really, but so much has changed. 

This past Sunday the marquee at our new church was used again to welcome him in his first couple weeks there, so I begged him to let me snap a picture to replicate the first one.  As I looked at them side by side so much change was evident to me.  First of all, I will say I think the man looks more handsome with age 😉, but I also see how much he has grown as a minister and a man.  His speaking has become better with time, his leadership skills have grown, the congregation where he serves is larger and therefore requires a larger skill set than he started out with.  The names on that board changed as we now do ministry as a family, and it is no longer just a weekend gig, but our full time life.  However, amid all those changes, some things still stay the same- the important things.  What hasn’t changed is his heart for God’s people, his energetic enthusiasm, his willingness to do what needs to be done, and his faithful following of God’s call on his life. 

Change is hard… but the important things stay the same.  Most of my life is changing, but the people I love are still in it (maybe in different ways, or at aa different distance- but they are still there), our location is changing, but God is still allowing us- calling us, to use our gifts and talents for Him, and most of all, while all of life around me is changing… God is NOT.  He is the same today that He was on September 8th, He is the same today as He was in 2007, He is the same today as he was 15 years ago, and the same that He will be 15 years from now.  That is such a reassuring promise to me.  His love for me does not change, His faithfulness does not change, His provision does not change, His ultimate plans for me do not change.  While change is hard, I’m SO very grateful that the MOST important thing stays the same.   

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17
In the meantime… please hang with me as change hits One Life Out Loud too haha- time zone changes make Tuesday a.m. publishing time change just slightly and internet service changes may slightly affect the blog and blog Facebook page too for the short period of time we are homeless.  Much love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...