Monday, August 14, 2017

Uh-Oh Moments

I’m just gonna say it… parenting a toddler is not for the faint of heart.  This weekend my hubby was feeling pretty under the weather, so I was toddler wrangling mostly on my own while still attempting to get some school work done.  By 9 am on Saturday he had already written all over my school papers in ink pen, eaten parts of 3 Roma tomatoes as if they were apples leaving a trail of tomato seeds, juice, and the 3 partial eaten tomatoes all over my kitchen, drug out every pair of shoes he owns (even 3 pair that no longer fit), refused to sit in his high chair so he could sit in a “big chair” at the kitchen table, and thrown 5 balls behind the couch where I could not reach them.  By noon everything he could get his hands on was either eaten or destroyed. 
I promise I was supervising! Toddler is NOT an accurate term for an 18 month old…sneaky (hungry) speedy ninja is a far better description.  This was also about the time he insisted he stand in his kitchen chair (which he knows is NOT ok).  I reminded him twice to sit and the third time decided to use my “mom voice.”  When he still wouldn’t sit I counted “One, Two…” and then he finished for me by announcing “Three!!”  At this point I looked over at (A) who was all puny in his chair and I heaved a big sigh.  He chimed in that I should be proud of the counting skills.  That was NOT helpful.  I was beginning to recite Psalm 127:3 over and over to myself “Children are a gift from the Lord.  They are a reward from Him.”  The ninja seemed to think all this was hilarious.

I finally decided to give up on my school work to-do list and give in to his begging to go “outside!”  I changed him in to his play clothes and we headed out.  Upon going outside where he said he wanted to be, he was determined to play INSIDE the garage (I have NO CLUE where he became so sure of what he wants or stubborn about it *cough, cough*).  In the garage, he found the remnants of a bag of charcoal which was nothing more than dust… filthy black dust that he proceeded to COMPLETELY cover himself in.    When he was done playing outside I put him straight into the tub for the sake of my carpet and light- colored furniture (honestly… what were we thinking when we bought those colors 10 years ago!?).  I decided after bath time that we were going to spend some quality bonding time together… also known as… Mommy-straps-ninja-in-the-stroller-where-he-can-be-contained-while-she-relieves-stress-by-runnning. 

Fast forward to Sunday morning.  I am still feeling some frustration from the messes and destruction from the previous day, (A) is still not quite healthy enough to be helpful (and has to get to early church service anyway), and I am already formulating a plan to call in reinforcements for the afternoon.  But lucky for me, the ninja decided to sleep in long enough for me to get a hot shower in peace and begin the process of getting ready for church.  However, when he awoke he was back in full form and ready for mischief.  He was very cooperative about getting breakfast and letting me get him ready for church, so I made the mistake of letting my guard down for 30 seconds while I started to straighten my hair.  At this point in the story I should also share that he has a particular affinity for playing in a short, round, porcelain “water-table” with a lid on it.  I heard the sound of “kerplunk, splash” followed by the dreaded words “UH OH, Mommy! Uh oh!”  I looked over to see him holding open the lid to the toilet while he pointed inside and continued to say “Uh on, Mommy! Uh oh!”  I looked in to see my husband’s glasses in the toilet water (which lucky for him was actually quite clean as I had just squirted in some toilet bowl cleaner and was letting it soak for a few minutes!) 
I was so frustrated and asked “What is the rule about playing in the toilet!!??” to which (a) answered “No, no, no!” I told him that was right and proceeded to ask (with a groan) “Then why do you continue to do it!!???”  My sweet boy just looked up at me, again said “Uh oh, Mommy”, pulled on my hand indicating me to fix the situation, and smiled up at me like he just knew I had the solution for the problem he had created.  And because his smile was so sweet, and he was SO convinced that I could fix the mess… I melted, forgave all the stress and frustration he had caused me throughout the weekend,  got a plastic glove, and retrieved the glasses from the toilet.  I told him he HAD to stay away from the toilet, but it was all going to be ok. 

And later in the day as I relayed the story to my husband of (a) pointing at the mistake and his “Uh oh, Mommy” it hit me… How often I make mistakes that create “toilet situations” and “Uh oh” moments in my life.  And while I do not deserve any help because in my humanity I mess up over and over and God should feel frustration and anger towards me, instead when I go to him seeking His forgiveness and help to clean up the situation He looks on me with love, pulls me in His arms, and forgives my “Uh oh” messes.  It is incredibly humbling to be so loved.  I do not deserve that love or forgiveness, but He gives it freely when I ask.  I’m so thankful that He pulls me out of the toilet, and keeps loving me anyway, despite my “Uh oh” moments. 
“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

                                           Romans 5:8(NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...