Monday, August 7, 2017

A Back to School Reminder

Back to school… if you are a parent or a student back to school hits you one of two ways-  you are either very excited or very sad.  Excited to begin a new year, sit in a new classroom, have new clothes and supplies (I mean seriously, there is just SOMETHING magical about the smell of a new box of crayons!), make new friends, excited to have your kids out of your hair or have your routine back… or sad to see summer leaving, sad to go back to early bed times, and early alarms, sad for your kids to be out of your house for 8 hours a day, sad to see them growing up so fast and moving on to a new grade, sad to see all the money leave your bank account for new supplies and new clothes…. Parents and students have one of those two feelings about going back to school. 

As a teacher however, I have a different feeling.  For me each new school year brings with it a humbling honor and responsibility- the chance to place my heartprint on a new set of little lives.  I feel the immense amount of trust that parents place on me by sending me their greatest treasures each day.  It is my responsibility to help them learn and grow and feel safe and loved and important from 7:50 each morning until 3:20 each afternoon.  I realize that for many families, I spend more waking hours with their children Monday-Friday than their own parents, and that is something I do NOT take lightly. 

These desks await 22 students who will walk in to my classroom ready to start their first day of 3rd grade on Tuesday morning.  This classroom- where they will spend approximately 37 ½ hours of each week (give or take some recess time) for the next 10 months.  Before I closed my door for the last time tonight I prayed over each desk individually and for each child, by name, who will sit there during this new school year.


My job for the next 180 school days will be to instruct my students in math, reading, writing, science, social studies, how to get along with others, how to be responsible, how to keep track of a pencil, how to use their new laptop correctly, how to call for help when even the teacher doesn’t know how to use the new laptop correctly, how to solve the problem of what to do when someone “cuts” you in the lunch line, how to take a deep breath before you begin a standardized test, how to tell yourself “I can do this- I’m a problem solver,” how to push the button to come in from recess when you forgot to pee before going out, how to politely ignore the kid who picks his nose beside you, how to praise each other to success, how to graciously handle defeat, and so many other things.  And the parts of the job my students will not see me do is stress over data, spend hours on plans, spend my own money for classroom items, wipe my tears when I see them struggle and I don’t know what to try next, or lay awake concerned over what is happening in the “tough” homes.  And I am not unique to this role, it is the same thing my colleagues will do throughout my building, school district, and across our country. 

                              (This little reminder hangs between my light switch and door frame for me to see each day.)                

I don’t tell you any of this so you will think anything special of me, but I share my story of how I do my job so I can also share what God taught me about this job a few years ago.  There was a time I was incredibly frustrated with my work in the schools, I was upset with favoritism/drama, I felt insignificant, and I was ready to give up on doing my best.  Then God led me to a verse in 1 Corinthians. 
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.  Let nothing move you.  Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
                                                                         1 Corinthians 15:58 (NIV)

I realized that whether I was a librarian, or a teacher, or a lawyer, or a trash collector, or a nurse, or an IRS agent, or a farmer, or a politician, or a stay at home mom, or a greeter at the Stuff*Mart- if God had called me to this work I was to give myself fully to that job, because it wasn’t about me, or even the specific job I was doing, it was about living out HIS purpose for me in that place, and that labor would not be in vain.  And I cling to that verse every day.  On the hard days it keeps me going, and on the days where I feel proud of myself it humbles me to remember it is for His glory, not mine.     And my prayer for you this week is that no matter WHAT you are doing, you will stand firm, and give yourself fully to the work of the Lord, wherever he has assigned you. 

“Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them.  This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.”
                                                                            1 Corinthians 7:17 (NIV)

And in the meantime, if you think of it, I would appreciate your prayers for this place… I’ll be there fighting with new laptops, digging in desks for lost papers, praying I don’t bring home head lice or bedbugs, and humbly lovin’ my heart out on 22 other families’ greatest blessings.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...