Thursday, July 1, 2021

Number 2 is TWO

 This morning we woke up to a two-year-old boy.  I will never understand how time passes so quickly.  His birth story was so chaotic and so much like a storyline from a sitcom, that I still can’t believe two years have passed since that day. 

 

At first I was nervous about our decision to have a third child, because I was concerned that (b) might get lost in the shuffle as the middle child.  But long before (lk) arrived he made it very clear there was NO CHANCE he would ever get lost in a shuffle.  He is the comedian of our crew, and brings the ornery to our house.  He is a thinker and a planner, and often uses that plan to make others laugh.  His smile and laughter are infectious, and he has a sound effect for nearly every action he does throughout the day.  He wants to be like his big brother, but he is also very much his own person.  He adores his baby sister and showers her with kisses, while also antagonizing her by stealing her pacifier from her mouth multiple times a day.  He loves all things to do with “horshes”, cows, and tractors. He will sit for an hour watching westerns where cows and horses might be spotted, but has zero interest in cartoons that most kids his age like. 

 


Learning to parent a “middle child” has been as much as a learning curve as taking care of a new baby.  I have learned to be on the lookout for his twinkling side eye, as it is always a dead giveaway that he is plotting mischief.  He has figured out that while I feed his sister there is nothing I can do to stop said mischief- so that is when he turns it up to 10 (usually chasing big brother with a toilet plunger, or sucking on the baby’s paci).  I’m learning these are his way of telling me he needs my attention, or reminding me that he is not going to let himself be forgotten. 

 

He is fearless to the point that I am terrified for his safety all the time, but beneath that tough exterior he is tenderhearted and loves others.  He makes sure to say “hi” and “bye” to everyone he sees in every public setting, and is known at daycare for his “attacking hugs” which are full of love but way too rough. 

 

He is too funny to take in a serious setting, and too busy to turn your head for a moment.  He makes too many messes for me to clean up in a day, but is too sweet to stay mad at for very long.  He is too fast for me to chase when he has something he isn’t supposed to, and too sweet of a snuggler to let go of first thing in the morning.  He is too curious for his own good, and at the same time too smart to squelch that curiosity.  And today he is TWO.

 

We are so very thankful for you, (b)! And we pray you will always use that big personality to point others to Jesus.  Happy Birthday sweet, silly boy!

 


“Sons are indeed a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward.” Psalms 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...