Wednesday, August 12, 2020

On the Other Side of the Desk

 As I prepared my “Meet the Teacher” page for my students this week, I decided to throw back to my 3rd and 4th grade pictures so they could see what I looked like when I sat on their side of the desk.  It made me giggle as I thought about all the feelings and concerns I had when I was on their side of the desk. 





 

I remember worrying what people would think of my outfit and taking the time to very carefully pick out what I would wear for that first day of school.  I remember wondering if kids would still like me and want to be my friend after being apart all summer.  I worried what the lunch situation would be like and who would play with me at recess.  I remember feeling stress about wanting to get it all right and do my very best with my work.  That first morning there were always butterflies in my tummy as I hoped that I hadn’t forgotten something important or I wouldn’t do something that made me look stupid.  But I also remember the excitement.  I enjoyed school, I loved my teachers, I loved using new school supplies, getting to learn new things, and having adventures in my new classroom.  There were so many emotions with that first day.

 

I am typing this tonight after finally leaving my classroom after 9:00 the night before students arrive for the first time. I have spent HOURS planning, prepping, decorating, communicating.  Papers are laid out, digital set-ups are ready, name tags are placed, and desks have been individually prayed over.  I now sit on the other side of the desk, the bigger desk that will soon have stacks of papers on it and binders full of lesson plans.  As I giggled about my 3rd and 4th grade pictures, I realized my emotions on the other side of the desk are really not so different.  I spent some time this evening thinking about what outfit I will wear for that first day.  I worry a little thinking about if my students and their parents will like me.  I’m nervous about what the lunch situation will be like, and how will I eat on the days that I also have duty.  I am still feeling stress about wanting to get it all right and do my very best with my work.  There are butterflies in my tummy as I hope I haven’t forgotten something important on my list, or do something that makes it look like I’m unqualified.  But I am also incredibly full of excitement.  I can’t wait to see my students, I love the team of people I work with, I love organizing those new school supplies, teaching new things each day, and having amazing adventures in my classroom.  I still have so many emotions with that first day. 

 

I pray that even though I am now on the other side of the desk, I never forget just how much alike my students and I really are.  May I will always remember what it felt like to sit on the other side of the desk. 

 

“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” Psalms 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...