Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Whole Hearted Messes


Today was a 4-loads-of-laundry day.  I realize in some homes that is totally the norm every day, but I am the kind of girl who wants to get the most “bang for her buck” when it comes to detergent and electricity (ok, or maybe I just hate folding it), but in our house a 4 load day is a big deal.  I shouldn’t be surprised… we have a 6 week old (seriously… how did 6 weeks go by so fast!) who is an expert a spitting up on everything- hence a load of his clothes and a load of mine, a three year old who plays as hard as he can all the time until he is covered head to toe in sweat and dirt and grime, and overall we lead a pretty active life which tends to lead to more laundry.
Bouncy houses = one VERY dirty boy!!



As I made multiple trips in and out of the laundry room today, I couldn’t help but smile as I looked at one of the little plaques that sits in there.  I bought it at a home décor sale years ago because I absolutely loved what it said… “The most memorable days end with the dirtiest clothes.”  It’s so often true!  I think about the most memorable days from my years growing up… many of those “most memorable days” were in the cattle barn, and I was FILTHY from hard work but my heart was full from the rewards of that work.  As I watch (a), so many of our “most memorable days” mean sweat and sticky and lots of dirt because he plays hard and has fun doing it.  Some of the dirties clothes I have washed for (A) involved dares or challenges he took from kids in ministry- whether it was a pie to the face for reaching a VBS goal or cracking an egg on his head in the church camp cafeteria, he is always willing to get dirty to make memories bonding with students.  Right now (b) manages to get his clothes dirty within about 3.2 seconds of me getting them on him… and these days are so memorable as I watch that precious little boy growing right before my eyes.  It’s true- memorable days end in dirty clothes. 


I think that phrase is true, at least in our home, because you aren’t afraid to get dirty when you are doing something with your whole heart.  When heart is involved, I just spray on a little extra Oxi-Clean and smile as I think about the memory that made the mess.  And I think it is true figuratively too… you aren’t afraid to get a little “messy” with extra time or effort or financial support when you are working at something with your whole heart.   

When you love people with your whole heart it is messy because you risk getting your feelings hurt.  When you do ministry with your whole heart it is messy because people carry around a lot of baggage before they hand it to Jesus.  When you care for your family with your whole heart it is messy because some times they let you down or leave you carrying a lot of the weight.  When you lead with your whole heart it is messy because you feel like you are never enough.

But I wouldn’t trade the “messy” days for anything because that is where the memories are made.  That is where the learning happens, the sacrifices are made, the lives are changed, the whole heart is invested.  After all, as Kingdom Workers that is how we are called to live… “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Col. 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...