Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Brotherly Love


Within a week of finding out he was going to be a big brother, (a) was pretty excited about the pending arrival of “his” baby.  We tried to prepare him as much as possible for what it would be like to have a baby at our house, helping him cope with the idea that this baby could not play or talk back to him at first, for the reality that it was going to be a brother when he originally wanted a sister, for the fact that Mommy and Daddy would have to stay at the hospital for a few nights, and I still had concern in my heart about how he would handle having to share his favorite people.  What I was not prepared for was just how precious brotherly love would be at our house. 

From the very first moment (a) met (b) he was totally in love.  He beamed from ear to ear as his first declaration was “There’s our cutie baby!!!” Within two minutes of that meeting he begged, “Oh Momma, can we keep him!!???” (Which pulled at the heartstrings of everyone in the room including the nurse!)  Even now, 8 weeks in, he still asks almost daily if we can keep his baby brother.  The answer is still definitely YES.  I was afraid the new would wear off as the reality of crying and spit up and dirty diapers set it, but to my surprise, he is still completely in love with “that cutie baby.” He wants to help with him in any way he can, he talks sweetly to him, he gives him infinite hugs and kisses, sings songs to help make him feel better if he cries, and shares with him all stories of excitement and adventure he can think of.  He wants us to take (b) with us everywhere he goes and when they do need to be apart it takes 472 kisses to get (a) to finally part with him.   
Photo credit: La Di Da Photography LLC

Watching all of this on a daily basis makes my Momma heart melt into a million pieces.  I know it most likely won’t last forever, but I am going to enjoy every second of it while it does.  As I have watched the relationship with these two blossom I pray that I know what is ahead… having grown up with a couple of pretty awesome sisters myself, I know there will be days they will want to slug each other, but I hope they will also always be the first to jump in and help each other.  I know they will get frustrated beyond words, but if anyone else does they will be the first one to defend each other.  I hope they will cling to each other through the lows and cheer for each other in the victories.  (And I can’t lie, I hope they will take great care of (A) and me when we are old!)
Photo Credit: La Di Da Photography LLC


This brotherly love has also shown up in some of my devotions lately- and it has made me think how thankfully I am for that “brotherly love” within my faith family as well.  That I have friends who I know will help any way they can, will speak encouragement into my life when I need it, make me “feel better” when I cry, that we can share our joys and excitement with, that we may get frustrated with each other but are also the first to defend the other, and that we can cling to each other in the lows and cheer for each other in the victories.  I am so thankful that God set his people up to function as a family, because that brotherly love is a bond that is not easily broken.  It is stronger than time and distance, it is forged for life, and it is a gift from God himself.

“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.  Honor one another above yourselves.” Romans 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...