Monday, September 25, 2017

Where's Dada?

My son’s favorite person has always been his dad.  His rank of favorites goes something like Daddy, Sadie (our dog), Titan (our other dog), Doc (my sister’s horse), then throw in grandparents, aunts, uncles, childcare workers, his goldfish, and FINALLY I can get a “Mama” in after all of those people… but I’m ok with that because I think he’s dad’s pretty epic too, after all, that is why I married him.  The two of them have been inseparable pals since the first time he was placed in (A’s) arms.  They play together, read stories together, go on adventures together, Daddy does morning routine, bath time, and teaches ornery tricks like growling at the dinner table. 

To (a), “Dada” is his safe place, his strength, his shoulder when he is sad or doesn’t feel good, his best friend, his partner in crime, his source of giggles and tickles, and the one he showers all his love on.  He even loves all his Daddy’s things.  This past Saturday (A) had to be at work early in the morning and was gone before (a) got up, so (a) spent the entire morning taking me around the house pointing out to me “Dada’s towel,” “Dada’s shoes!”, “Dada’s!!” (that was a can of body spray he was holding up), and continually making my phone light up to the backscreen picture of the two of them so he could shout “Dada!!”


As most toddlers do, (a) has a phrase that he uses 1,467,982 times each day- “Where’s …. (fill in the blank)?”  However, the last couple of weeks he has sensed that things are not completely normal in our house and his CONSTANT question is “Where’s Dada?”  While many times the answer is “At work,” there are also TONS of times when he asks “Where’s Dada?”  when the answer is “Right there!” across the room.  He just needs that reassurance that Daddy is still right there close to him, ready to be all the things that he needs. 

While sometimes his constant question over an answer this is so easy to see makes me crazy, it has been a reminder that I have needed to hear.  That NO MATTER WHAT, our Father should be my safe place, my strength, my shoulder when I am sad or my heart hurts, my best friend, my source of joy, and the one I shower all my love on.  Over the last few weeks I have found myself asking sometimes, “Father… where are you!?” and He has graciously found thousands of ways to remind me “I’m at work in your life.  I’m right here!”  Sometimes I just need the reassurance that our Heavenly Father is still right here close to me, ready to be all the things that I need. 

Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord
                           Jeremiah 29:12-14a           

In the meantime, I sure love sharing my life with these two and watching the love of an amazing Father and his beloved little one.  

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and truly believe in you and Anthony and Anderson. God had been is and will use you for he is the same yesterday today and forever!

    ReplyDelete

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...