Tuesday, July 4, 2017

May I Never Take for Granted

I can’t lie, the last few weeks have been a little chaotic at our house.  A minor flood has turned into some major home repairs we were NOT planning on, an outdoor project we HAD planned on has moved on a very unexpected (and not well communicated) timeline, we have a toddler who is getting more adventurous every day (that’s my polite way of saying “has turned into a sneaky, climbing, somewhat-destructive ninja”), AND we are putting the finishing touches on a week of church camp we are in charge of next week.  Needless to say, I have been a little extra stressed out

However, with the 4th of July approaching I happened to come across an article about the Declaration of Independence that was a gentle reminder to me of how much I take for granted, especially when I am stressed out.  The article noted that quite honestly, in signing the Declaration the 56 men who gave their signatures were committing an act of high treason toward the King of England, and this could certainly be punishable by a horrible death.  And yet, they did it anyway- because they believed in this new country they were founding, and they believed in the rights of the people to have “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”  My whole life I have enjoyed the 4th of July with cook-outs, fireworks, days by the pool, and many years with cattle shows.  But I take for granted that we celebrate this day because our country’s founding fathers were willing to risk death to give me those rights.  It reminds me of another group of guys who risked a lot- the apostles as they began the Church.  What a risk to have to meet in secret, face jail time and other persecution, be disowned by their Jewish families, and yet, they did it anyway- because they believed in Jesus Christ and His love and power in their lives.  I take for granted that I can freely walk in to my weekly church service, holding the hand of my little boy, without fear of persecution or punishment. 

After those reminders, I started to look at the things that are stressing me out, and I will admit that I shed a few tears as I asked the Lord to…
Never let me take for granted the privilege I have to be replacing our HVAC system, because it means we live in a climate controlled house.  There are children living in Haiti who tonight will eat mud cookies and sleep on the streets because they have no house.
Never let me take for granted the friends we have who show up on a few minutes notice to help with a project we could never have accomplished on our own even if given adequate notice.  Those kinds of friends are worth more than their weight in gold.
Never let me take for granted the dirty food smears on my dress clothes in the shape of tiny hand prints.  There was a time we were unsure if there would ever be tiny hands in our home.
Never let me take for granted the busy toddler splashing in the toilet or licking his dogs’ tongues.  I have friends who would give anything for their child to be healthy enough to do such disgusting shenanigans. 
Never let me take for granted the piles of dirty laundry and dishes that plague my home.  It means we are fed and clothed beyond what we deserve.
Never let me take for granted the loud explosions of fireworks late at night.  They are a reminder of “the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there,” the fact that freedom wasn’t free, and yet people were willing to risk and pay the price.
Never let me take for granted the distracting noise of my husband’s favorite annoying TV shows in our living room.  It means I am blessed enough to share my life and home with a man who loves his family.  There are those who would love to have the noise of another in their home to drown out the loneliness.   
Never let me take for granted the time I spend writing lessons and tweaking schedules for church camp.  There will be children whose lives will be changed and hearts won to Jesus in those 6 days.

I may feel a little overwhelmed right now by our current situation, and I may be struggling to navigate some of it, but I pray that amid it all God will help me to never take for granted the blessings He has placed in my life.  That I may never take for granted that His grace is sufficient for me when I struggle and fall, and that His power is made perfect in my weakness.  (Check out 2 Corinthians 12:9)

Happy 4th! Don’t take for granted the blessings around you today!

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
         James 1:17 (NIV)





1 comment:

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...