Thursday, May 13, 2021

Complete

It was a fun day for deliveries at our house today.  Two separate packages arrived that completed some sets I have been building for the last five years.  One was a set of canvas photographs.  When we were expecting (a) we took a picture of just our feet with a pair of baby cowboy boots between ours.  We repeated the same pose with our family when I was expecting (b) and one more time with (lk).  I had waited all these years to print them because I wanted to have a complete set and make sure I printed them as the same size and format.  The second package to arrive was a special figurine.  While I am typically NOT a collector of “things,” for several years I have been growing a collection of Willow Tree figures from many different occasions.  By far my most special of these pieces though are the ones (A) has added for me with each child.  Today my set arrived depicting all 5 of us together as a family. 

Original professional photos by Tammy Williams Photography, Emily Curtis, and La Di Da Photography LLC.  All three are fantastic and I would totally recommend them- the changes just happened because of our move and their availability because of that.


It is always fun to have new home décor, so of course I was excited to get these pieces, but more than that it was a special feeling in my heart of completeness.  I hadn’t printed the canvas photographs until I felt like we had taken all the pictures.  I love my little statues, but the one with all 5 of us felt like it belonged in the middle as a completion of that part of the collection. 

 

The last three weeks as a new family of 5 have been crazy, stressful, exhausting, and hard, BUT they have also been a lot of fun, have filled my heart with joy, and stretched my capacity to love.  For the first time, I look at our family and my heart feels complete.  It COULD be the fact that all our bedrooms are full, all the seats in our vehicles are occupied, and my washer and dryer never have a break, but I really don’t think that is the real reason.  I truly believe it is because these are the precious littles that God was calling us to raise.  We weren’t done after the first because he was created to be an amazing big brother to his siblings.  We weren’t done after the second because he needed the opportunity to show us what a heart he had for being a helper (not to mention his deep desire to be the comedian of our crew).  While our third hasn’t yet had a chance to show her personality, we know God has big plans for her life as well- and we know that we were called to raise these three blessings to love and serve the Lord.  My heart feels an overwhelming amount of peace and joy as it now feels whole and complete. 

 

For me, there is always a sense of bittersweet that comes when I know something is complete.  When I graduated high school, I was excited for the future, but there was a small sense of sadness for what was over.  When I graduated college, I was thrilled to be looking toward marriage and a teaching career, but there was some sadness at parting ways with incredible friends and leaving a campus I loved.  When the chapter of our lives in Indiana closed, we were excited about the future of a new ministry and new friends to be made, but there was also a lot of sadness about leaving many things and people we loved.  My heart has felt a little of the same way the last few weeks.  I am so thankful for this family God has given us and I feel so blessed for the opportunity to raise them, but there is a twinge of sadness to experience all the “firsts” for the last time, to pack up my maternity clothes to pass them on, and to know my days of enjoying pregnancy are over.  Complete comes with both a huge sense of accomplishment, peace, and joy, but also all the questions about the unknown future. 

 

While I don’t know what the future looks like, what joys and heartbreaks parenthood holds for us, I am thankful to know the One who does know.  And I am thankful that He holds that future in the palm of His hands.  While our family may be complete, He has not completed His work with me.  In three particular ways it has just begun…

 

“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...