Tuesday, November 6, 2018

In Disguise

I’m preparing this week to start one of my favorite student projects of the year- “Turkey in Disguise.”  Each student will receive a picture of a turkey on cardstock, and then they take it home to decorate it in some way that disguises the turkey.  The whole idea is giving the turkey a personality and planning his scheme to avoid becoming Thanksgiving dinner.  When the turkeys come back to school we do a writing project about them with “Who am I?” questions.  It is so fun to see all the creativity and the different ways students dress their turkeys.  However, no matter what they do, the original cardstock turkey picture is still underneath.  They can dress it up, change its color, disguise the shape of the feathers, or cover over it, but behind all it… it is still a turkey.





Some days I feel like I am a crazy woman in disguise.  Some days I am REALLY struggling to balance it all- how to be a good mom, a good wife, a good teacher, put some sort of food on the dinner table, keep the house from becoming a federal disaster area, maybe get to have a friendship or two at some point, exercise enough, and strive to be the woman God wants me to be.  But I often don’t want anyone to see I’m struggling, so I walk around in disguise… I cover it up with a dress and cute boots, I smile and tell you “I’m great, how are you!?”, I find a way to still show up with the covered dish I was stressing about, or wrestle my kid until he looks put-together.  But the reality is, none of those things still change what is underneath- a girl working her tail off to keep it all together.  And I would guess, that if we were sitting knee to knee, toe to toe honest… I’m not the only chick in my shoes.

I am so very grateful that Creator can still see the “ME” he made under that disguise, and that before Him I do not have anything to hide.  On one particularly hard day last week, I opened my evening devotional to read about holding on when things are tough, but letting go of the hurt that was making it tougher.  I began to cry my eyes out.  But at the same time, it brought so much relief to know that it was OK to tell God I was not ok.  That He knows every part of me, and He wants me to share my heart with him… even the hurt and struggles I have been disguising. 

I think the thing I love so much about the “Turkey in Disguise” project is that I know exactly what each student started with, a basic turkey on a white piece of card stock.  And when the project comes back as something fun and elaborate, I know the work they have put into it, because I know what is really beneath.  In contrast, I find so much comfort in knowing I can take off my disguise when I come before God, because he knows what is really beneath.  I can not hide it from him, and I’m so glad I can trust His love enough that I don’t want to hide it from him. 

Now, if I could just find some of the things that were hidden when I disguised my house as “clean”…

“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed.  Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.  For there is nothing hidden that will no be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.” Luke 8:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...