Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Get Real

In this life, I have often heard the phrase "Fake it 'til you make it!" And while there is something to be said about having confidence before you perfect something, I have always struggled with that phrase.  Because quite honestly, I don't want to be fake.  I want to be REAL.  Genuine. Authentic. Truthful.  If you know me, you know the REAL me....

Sometimes I am real late.
Often I am real loud.
My house is not always real clean.
There is probably a real stain on my shirt.
I don't usually deal with stress real well.
really love to eat, read, sing, walk around in my bare feet, and turn my music up real loud.
I have a real hard time doing anything athletic.
I will usually give you my real opinion if you ask for it (and sometimes even if you don't).
My real expression is usually written all over my face.
I have a real self-esteem issue with how I look.
My passion for hard work is real and I really love the smell of the livestock barn, my baby boy's clean laundry, fresh cut hay, a box of brand new crayons, and steak cooking on the grill.
really don't know how we juggle all the things in our life, we just make it happen... and because of that sometimes the real me is a little chaotic and not real well put together.

What I have found in this life is that most of us are terrified of the real person deep inside, and even more frightening is the thought of someone else finding out about that real person.  Our deepest doubts, fears, insecurities, short falls, and worries tend to be our greatest enemies, so we hide behind a facade.  In doing so, we often wander through life telling people we are "Fine," "Great," or "Happy" when really we are lost, broken, and scared.  And in being lost, broken, or scared we are afraid to step out and be who God is truly calling us to be.  We don't want to think about what someone else might think of us if we take a risk and step out on faith.  We don't want people to think we are getting "above our raising" or that we are crazy.  So.... we fake it.  We close our ears to the sound of the calling and convince ourselves that we should just settle for life the way it is.  

I have decided I don't want to settle any longer.  I want to be REAL... and so I introduce you to "Life Out Loud."  I have felt strongly called to Women's Ministry for several years now, and while I LOVE the occasional speaking engagements and retreats I am able to be a part of, I have felt for some time that God was calling me to something more. I have felt God calling me to share the real things He puts on my heart- and honestly sometimes that is terrifying!  Some of ya'll may read this, decide I'm crazy and move on.  Some may think I'm a terrible mother, a crazy teacher, or incapable of my role as a minister's wife.  And that is fine- you are totally entitled to that opinion.  But my new blog adventure is going to give you a peak into my real world, and my fervent prayer is that it will provide encouragement to those who read it.  Encouragement to follow God's calling, to live according to His purpose on your life, to be real with those around you, and to trust His love on the days when you fall short.  


"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began"
                               2 Timothy 1:6-9 (English Standard Version)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I Share My Classroom With

 Right before school started last fall, I found a neat sign to add to my classroom décor.  It says, “What I love most about my classroom is ...